Those that read me, may remember my last effort
But I am tickled pink this time.
Sewn in stretch cotton poplin with MoP buttons.
Speaking of buttons, I will never need to buy any ever again thanks to Katy Bella Bugs , she sent me a life times supply.
I muslined this shirt and put a lot of effort into the muslin.
I warn you, it is a bit of a novel.
My measurements put me in the size 16 but I knew, just looking at the back yoke, that was way too big.
I have very narrow shoulders and I am quite high waisted. This shirt seems very wide and very low waisted.
However, I need every bit of the 16 for my hips and belly.
I decided to try something. I cut the shoulders to a size 6 (the size that looked to fit me best placing it on my body).
I cut the rest of the shirt to the size 16.
After placing the body pieces against me I raised the waist by 17cm and then re-positioned the darts and retraced the hem.
Swedish tracing paper is ideal for this sort of adjustment.
I also added a bust dart.
Please excuse the terrible photo.
I was really pleased with the result.
I used the size 16 sleeve, as I have quite bulky forearms but trimmed a good inch from the sleeve cap and shaped out the sides. In hindsight, I should have checked the sleeve length and cuff.
They are a bit long and a bit full but I can easily adjust the next one by trimming the sleeve and adding a few pleats.
The pattern has a simple one pieced placket but I swopped that out for a two piece one.
I used the pattern pieces from my Aime Comme Marie Madame shirt.
Personally, I prefer a more 70's style collar then the squarish modern day look. I made my collar a bit pointier at the front and narrower at the back.
Apart from the sleeves, I am very pleased with this shirt.
And I will probably roll the sleeves up most of the time, anyway.
Making a muslin, a proper muslin with your seams on the outside so you can adjust to fit can be time consuming but it is so worth it.
I have no idea if I fiddled with this pattern 'correctly' but it worked and it is so comfortable.
It fits perfectly into my capsule wardrobe.
I am currently muslin-ing Burda 6769 to make a black coated denim skirt.
So far so good!
Thanks for reading.