Elsa has wanted a red trench coat f o r e v e r!
Finally, it was her turn on the rota.
So I made her one.
After trawling through my vintage patterns she decided she really liked the look of this little number.
But with straight sleeves and epaulettes.
We used a beautiful heavy textured red wool and lined it with heavy de-lustered with the two-as-one method used in the instructions.
In retrospect, a bagged lining would have been so much easier and less bulk.
The collar was very well cut, a two piece bias under collar, interfaced on the bias with a straight grain section cut for the neck roll.
After sewing the collar facing in place and trimming, turning and pressing, the garment is tried on, the collar roll is established and safety pinned in position and then hand basted to keep it there!
It sits so nicely!
At Elsa's request, I hand sewed all the facings in place.
It certainly kept me warm as I stitched it.
The centre back is cut in two pieces but I decided to cut the lining as one and added a generous vent.
I was completely won over by the back neck darts. Such an elegant detail.
The buttons are vintage, silver filagree. I didn't like them but I am very pleasantly surprised with how well they work.
I ran out of cloth and had to piece the tie in three. Elsa did not want a buckle and the joins don't bother her a jot.
They do bother me, exceedingly.
It also bothers me that I over pressed the hem creating a crease.
I want to steam that out but I need to pry the coat off of her.
Because she loves it.
The pockets are fully lined with the purple satin.
Elsa was away on work experience when I sewed this up.
Yes, that is a big a#se python and a cute monkey.
And I completely forgot to add the epaulettes in construction.
Elsa really wanted them so I made up four 'arrows' and hand sewed them in place.
I think we got away with it.
Thanks for popping by!