On to the pants!
As I was using such a flimsy fabric for the ruffle I sewed a second row of stitching to hold it in place.
Gently roll the seam into place making sure the ruffle is even and not tucked.
As I was sewing cord which is a fluffing nightmare,I over locked the edge.
I also sewed a turning guide line.
I like to continue stitching the pocket edge down.
Use the pattern piece as an overlay to check the pocket position.
Pin in place and sew.
Sewing the Panels
A few taps with a hammer will subdue it.
Make sure the notches match.
Attaching the yoke
I found marking the back clearly(see previous post)really useful. Thanks Justine!
Check for tucks and fix them before moving on.
Sewing the legs
It is far better to have a slightly uneven hem them not match the notches.
If the notches don't match the legs may be twisted and not sit nicely.
I chose to finish my seams together. This next section differs from the pattern.
Press the inner leg seams in opposite directions on each leg piece.
Place on leg in side the other,right sides together,matching notches with the crotch seams facing opposite directions so the the bulk is evenly distributed.
The staggered seam at the crotch.
Neaten the seam.
Press the seam well.
I quite like to topstitch this wee bit to help hold the seam in place.
And do the same at the centre back.
Topstitch the centre crotch seam,
This can be fiddly but you can do it!
Subdue any tough seams with a wee whack!
Back to the pattern and Hemming and Waistband
And you are finished!
How cute are these?
Check out the weeny pockets!
A great unisex pattern. The trousers fit true to the size chart(maybe a little longer in the leg). Matilda measures at a 18-24 month and that is what I made and they fit perfectly.
They are a slim fit,I seriously doubt they would go over a cloth nappy,I would suggest sizing up 2 or more sizes and shortening/rolling the legs up if that is an issue.
The top is a cropped design and quite roomy.
I made the 12-18mnth and it is perfect through the body. I lengthened to a size 4 but would probably add another inch next time,as well as a few inches to the sleeve.
It has a lovely wide neck and with all the buttons undone easily goes over her big noggin.
I sewed the pants in soft wide wale cord and it was lovely. Some seams were a bit bulky but 'subdued' nicely with a tap from my hammer.
I did find it very slippery to sew(possibly because I reversed the pile)I had to sew and then overlock or the seam moved.
The stretch tulle was a bit fiddly but well worth the effort.
Thanks for reading,