Ah, yes, I know. I was a bit surprised too.
Tildy found this pink lace at Eliza Fabrics and begged, begged me to get it for her.
It was a little dearer, $12, maybe $15/m but she was desperate to have it and have a posh frock made.
It is a funny, polyester, fluffy finished type of lace. Very thick with a decorative border.
I am soft, I let her have it.
The other fabric is a pink crepe, I purchased it to use as a lining for a dress but we found another cloth more suitable, so it was 'up for grabs'. It is not the nicest stuff, it seems to be 'pulling' easily. It was very cheap, $3/m maybe?
Tildy is ALL about the cinch, so we fitted the bodice.
I made the main bodice and lace bodice, separately, increasing the waist darts (by almost double) then I put the two together and basted the edges.
I didn't alter the shoulder darts or the side seams.
I made the sleeves next, neatening the side seams and pressing open.
My sleeve board was a huge help with this step.
I used satin binding (as directed) to finish the sleeve hem, sewing this to the lace overlay and then slipping the main sleeve under the lining and then hand sewing the binding in place, catching both layers.
This give a neat finish as well as making sure there is no itchy fabric next to the skin.
The inside is not so pretty but very sturdy.
I decided not to line the bodice as it was heavy enough but did line the skirt (with pink satin) so that it balanced with the bodice (and for extra swish)
I took in the waist of the skirt, to match the bodice but eased it out to the hips.
The two skirts were made and then put wrong sides together, basted together at the waist.
The skirt is sewn to the bodice and then the zipper is attached.
This was heavy going.
The lace was so thick and not easy to sew. I basted up the centre back and then hand basted (after pinning) my zipper in.
I went with a sturdy, vintage zipper from my stash.
The lace at the neck was so bulky!
I graded the seam as best as I could and even used my hammer to flatten some of the seams. Under-stitching to the facing helped a lot.
I then hand sewed the facing down to the bodice.
I am not going to lie, it gives me a 'Mother of the Bride' vibe.
|The dress isn't wonky, just photographed on a tiny mannequin as it wouldn't fit on the size 8 one.|
I put up the hem by hand, made thread chains to keep the lining in place...
The zipper is, well, in.
I would have unpicked it (I am quite happy to unpick) but this fabric easily pulled so I felt it was better left alone.
But who gives a hoot!
Tildy loves it!
She is my heart and if she is happy, I am happy.
I love the flower lace.
It is really, really silky on the inside because it is lined with satin.
The length is perfect because I like shorter dresses.
It is nice and warm because there are so many layers.
Lidia had some yellow flower lace (from Eliza Fabrics) and I wanted a dress like her. I found the pink lace in the middle of a big bundle of different laces. It was a bit expensive but I really, really wanted it and Dad said yes.
I feel very grown up in my fancy dress.
I love this pattern!
I would love to sew it in a suiting weight wool (I have some grey pinstripe in mind).
I also have a wee bit of rabbit fur so I could make a muff...
Tilly did need a new posh frock for weddings and funerals.
Sadly a lot more funerals than weddings last year.
I hope I get to sew this again. A great pattern, still very wearable now.
And you don't notice the zipper from a distance!
Thank you for reading... xx N