Thursday, March 7, 2019

Lekala #5430 Denim skirt for Elsa

Late last year Elsa asked me to sew a her a little denim skirt.
She had been on the look out for one but the same old problem.
Fits her nicely in the hips, too big in the waist.
After scooting around Lekala she found #5430 
I used the last of my wool/denim that I had cut my Boyfriend jeans (to be blogged) my Lekala skirt (to be blogged) and my Hudson trackies.



Now, Lekala instructions can be confusing but this one takes the cake. The line drawing show the zipper going up through the waistband but when I followed them I ended up covering my zipper!
I looked to see if anyone else had had the same problem and it had only been made and submitted once
photo from Lekala
And she had lowered her zipper and used buttons.
Arghhhhh!
I ended up just snipping, pressing and topstitching until the jolly thing worked!
It's a little ugly but being denim, you get away with it.
Look, it is a great little skirt, just be prepared to wing it when it comes to the zipper.
Or maybe I am being thicky-McThickface? I don't know, I just wanted to blog it so if someone Googles Lekala #5420 WTF? They get a hit.
~Elsa's Verdict~
The denim skirt is super cute, it literally fits like a glove because it is tailored to my body.
This is awesome because it is so hard to find things that fit.
It goes perfectly with a belt, my Ariat boots and a nice shirt.
Thanks Mum.
~My Verdict~
Apart from the zipper Vs waistband issue, it is nice pattern. Sewed up quickly and the curved waistband is comfortable and makes it easy to fit.
I like the denim to have a wee bit of stretch for a skirt. Stretch for comfort of wear rather than going down a size.
I have not sewn as much for Elsa of late. I struggled to get things the way she likes them and my sewing time is limited so making something that is not worn is pretty frustrating for me and guilt inducing for her.

She had a very good job last year, so took to buying her clothes but I was having to alter them to get the fit she wanted.
Now she is at University full time and having to live off her savings I think 'mum sewing' may be called upon again.
And I know to insist upon fittings!
Shirt is a RTW drafted pattern to be blogged.
Thank you for reading... xx N

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE this skirt and was all set to download it in my size when I got to the part about the zipper. I don't know that's I'd have been able to figure it out as you did. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, wait until you see the one i made me!
      No pockets but a gorgeous cut with a nice pegged hem. I have lived in mine all Summer.
      Thank you, I would have thrown the bloody thing in the bin but Elsa wanted it for a Rodeo, the next day.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. It’s very cute! Denim skirts need to be in every girl’s wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete