Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Hudson Pants for Him+Her

One of the patterns that lives in my cutting trolley...
Is the Hudson pants by True Bias.
They are actually a knit pant but I have sewn them in a woven as well.
This pair is made in denim/wool from Spotlight. I wear them every morning while cooking breakfast. The cloth has a wee bit of stretch so they are very comfortable. And warm.
June 2016
Previously I have sewn them in this middle weight rigid denim but I found I wore the backside out quite quickly (too much strain). 
That said, I have darned those two pairs and Elsa now wears them.
She thinks the worn look is cool. 
While on holidays, last year, I saw a lot of 'dressy' track pants and I was tempted to try some myself.
I used some pink, very stretchy, un-brushed cotton fleece from Eliza Fabrics ($3/m).
Oh my goodness, they were so comfortable. Putting them on was like listening to choirs of baby Tim Minchins singing.
Elsa also thought they were lovely, and flogged them.
Ah well, they say the highest form of flattery is pinching your mothers trackies.
The Hudsons also come in a men's version 
I made Hugo a pair in some thick and stretchy organic waffle knit from The Drapery

The mens version is just as nice.
I did my usual adaptions.
I use a single row of wide elastic rather that several channels. I also omit the draw string and just add a faux cord tie to the front.
I use a thinner fabric (like a modal knit) for the pocket lining to reduce bulk.
Hugo was pleased with them.
I made Elsa a tracksuit for her birthday, using the pattern again.
The jumper is cut from a RTW Bullrush jumper I had from my school days that finally died.
The fabric was a very expensive, washed, un-brushed knit from Spotlight $26/m. 
Gorgeous colour, crap fabric.
It pills like mad, even with turning it inside out to launder.
I am a bit cross because I purchased a big piece because of the gorgeous colour.
Elsa wanted a slimmer pair so I made her the size 2 according to her measurements and they were just too firm.
Lidia is not unhappy about this...
Bonus trackies! 
Finally, two navy, stretch linen pairs as the Twin's were told they had to wear navy trousers to Presentation night 2017, they were told the day before...
These are a quick sew.
They also come in a children's version. I have a few pairs cut out, #ninjacutting but have yet to sew them up.

~My Verdict~
I have a few track pants pattern in my stash but I just keep coming back to the Hudson pants.
They are a good cut, not too high in the rise, enough thigh room and the legs are not too long.
*We are not a tall family so that may be something you want to check if you sew them and are a bit more gifted in the height department*
As I said, the Hudson's live in my cutting trolley as they are an excellent pattern to use up that leftover fabric #ninjacutting.

I throughly recommend them.

Thank you for reading... xx N


8 comments:

  1. Figured out that I can comment from my phone but not my computer. Weird. Anyway, all these pants look great. They're a good shape for Elsa in particular. We are a tall family so thanks for that heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Masha.
    Interestingly, the mens pattern says they are for a chap of 6ft height and Hugo is no where near that, maybe they are meant to be low slung?
    They are nice and slim though, which would suit your girls.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got some sale jersey recently with this pattern in mind - have been meaning to make them for ages, it's still so flipping hot and humid! (maybe I should plan to make them over the easter break ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it!
      Once you have your pattern cut (and if you skip the drawstring channel ) they are a 2 1/2 hour easy sew.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. I love all of these! I have fabric for another pair for myself, must get to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, you can cut these one night and sew the next two nights.
      That is what I love about them, very quick but satisfying sew.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Can I ask where you get your ribbing from? I’m struggling to find any in store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased a lot of mine from Eliza Fabrics in Melbourne.
      The thick stuff (like the nude pair) is from Spotlight.
      I hope that helps?
      xx N

      Delete