Sunday, March 17, 2019

Lekala #4635 Denim Skirt for Me!

It is the best feeling.
When you sew something so successful and practical that you wear it
All
The 
Time.
Style Arc Boyfriend shirt, RM Williams jacket, boots and belt, 
I made a denim skirt with the leftover fabric from my Vado jeans
The custom fit Lekala #4635
I needed a new denim skirt, my 20 year old version is being retired to the beach cottage (it was a pull on, elastic waist one which has done good service but seen better days)
The panelled styling caught my eye, I like the topstitching opportunity and the fact that it would use odd pieces of fabric.

I did do a two inch hem but mine was definitely shorter than their line drawing.
Which I wanted.
I did take in the side seams just a bit and I think I could have taken a bit more. That said, this fabric has some stretch and the pattern called for rigid.
The skirt sits on my hips and they are not wide in comparison to my waist and with a fairly flat bottom, if I don't wear a belt, it slips down.
However, it gives me great tummy ease and is super comfortable, especially travelling.
The kick pleat is perfect, I can run in this sucker.
It is actually very cool to wear, even on hot days. I had planned to make denim shorts, and I still do but I think the wearability of this has delayed that project.
I am still thoroughly embracing my capsule wardrobe and have reached the stage of fine tuning it.
I removed a few pieces that don't fit nicely and I am replacing them with ones that do.
My sister is happily taking these clothes.
 As a side project, I am creating a 'Beach Capsule'. 
I find I prefer black basics instead of my past navy pieces. So the navy is being transitioned to my beach cottage wardrobe.
I like the thoughtfulness that capsule wardrobe-ing inspires in me.
I sew only what I need and it stops me purchasing that pretty fabric, just because.
~My Verdict~
Super pleased with this one.
I wear it so often, for home and for 'out'.
It is a little on the big side but I am hoping a hot wash may sort it.
It was a good, quick sew and very easy to fit.
I did 'peg' the hem a wee bit more but the pattern is inclined towards that style, anyway.
I feel very sporty and trim in this, which is jolly nice as I am a little overweight (post weaning boom). If I shed the 8 kg I hope to lose I think I will make another, exactly the same BUT I think I will hang on to this as it will be handy if I gain weight again.
As this skirt doesn't have side pockets (my only grumble) I don't think I will even need a new pattern, I will just take it in at the side seams.


Thank you for reading... xx N

6 comments:

  1. You look so fabulous and this looks like the kind of wardrobe staple you will absolutely thrash for years. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I really don't like to fuss about my weight, my poor old body is a bit worn out but with joint issues it just makes sense but.. cheese...

      I al so in love with this skirt, very, very happy!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. It's super Nicole. You've nailed the fit and it looks sporty but also stylish - great job. I'm delighted to see that happy little zebra too!
    And did I just read "cheese", or am I imagining things.... Again... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, cheese, you can keep your chocolate and cake, cheese is my weakness. (When your children give it to you for your birthday you know they know it too)
      Trixie loves her zebra dress and it washed beautifully due to being so well made.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Love the design lines on this one, A denim skirt can be quite simple in design but this is lovely jazzed up with the different front seams. It adds interest! A staple piece for sure!

    ReplyDelete