Thursday, March 7, 2019

McCalls M7606 Wrap skirt for Elsa

Spotlight stores in Australia have improved so much in the last 20 years.
They stock some very pretty rayon now.
Just don't expect much from the website, it has been recently updated but is still pretty bad.
This  pretty crane print, on sale for $12/m,  has been popping up on Instagram for the last 12 months.
Lidia had 3 metres put aside to make a dress. Elsa swopped (so she told me) a remnant of blue cranes for it.
Elsa requested a wrap skirt.
I had recently picked up M7606 in the sales for around $4 (usually $20.00)
Elsa plumped for view C sans ruffle.
Elsa's hips measured a M but her waist an XXS so I took a chance and cut the size S, hoping there would be enough ease for her derrière.
I actually did cut the pattern. I have always drafted my patterns onto thin interfacing but I have so many patterns that only get sewn once it seems a lot of work that I could I could save myself.
I still draft my boutique patterns such as Oliver+S and Clever Charlotte but the Big4 that I purchase on sale, I will cut.
#rebel.
Anyhoo, back to the skirt.
The sash, ties a very pretty bow.
The waistband is constructed in several pieces, interfaced so they sit nicely. The ties are made separately and attached at each end of the waistband.
At one side of the waistband you leave a gap and then hand sew the edges closed to create an opening to thread one side of the tie through.
Very neat finish.
The fabric is so light and floaty.
I sewed a narrow, double hem around the edge and I did consider (and would do next time) French seams at the sides.
I think it will be lovely and cool to wear.
~Elsa's Verdict~
The wrap skirt is just gorgeous, the print is summery and perfect!
However, it is such a versatile piece it can easily be transitioned to Spring wear by adding a warmer top and a denim jacket.
Thanks Mum.
~My Verdict~
To be honest, I wasn't that sold on this pattern (looking at the pattern cover photograph). Lidia chose it and it was on sale so I let her have it.
I am really impressed now.
It was an enjoyable sew with some nice finishing details.
I am very glad I went with the S as I think the M would have been way too big (there was a considerable jump in the sizing). Elsa has the waist pulled as tightly as she can here and she still has some ease.
It is a wrap skirt and will blow up with a gust of wind but Elsa wears good knickers so it shouldn't be a problem. #saynotothegstring.


One slight problem 
Lidia denied a trade had ever taken place ...
She came in and saw me sewing it and was so excited.
Elsa was the ever sympathetic big sister.

Sister love!

Thank you for reading... xx N

8 comments:

  1. It's lovely (even if it is possibly ill-gotten gains?). I think your version is much nicer than the cover samples.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am not sure if it is the fabric choice of the pattern cover but I like ours much better too.
      As with the fabric wars... it is a tale as old as time ;)
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Every single time I pick up striped tshirt fabric there is a battle between both my daughters. It only stops when I intervene and stick a label on it.

    Or use it for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, stripes can be like that. #stripewars
      They can be quite funny when it comes to choosing fabric and discarding it again.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty style and fabric ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think it would be gorgeous over swimmer bottoms too.
      I did wonder about a denim version for me but I have a 70's wrap skirt with a bit MORE wrap which i think my suit my elderly thighs just a bit better. ;)
      xx N

      Delete
  4. How does she find it in terms of staying put? We made the Style arc one similar the the view with the ruffle on your pattern. But I think, although it’s pretty, it’s not worn a lot because she gets a bit self conscious about it revealing a bit much (or what would be considered a bit much). It’s not a mind bender though to sew and it’s really pretty in rayon. Nice and cool. It’s a rather sophisticated little skirt I think.

    ReplyDelete