Saturday, March 2, 2019

Lidia and Korean Fashion Lekala #7080 and Lekala #4661

My apologies for the blog dump...
Lidia has reached the age where she can no longer wear the Twin's hand me downs.
Everything has to made for her, which is fun.
So, after a pleasant evening cruising Pinterest together, we made a new board
I find the best success sewing for my older peoples is requesting a picture and then I work backwards with patterns and fabrics.
Liddy chose this...
Image from Pinterest
Cruising Lekala we found...
Lekala #4661 blouse  
and Lekala #7080 skort.
Our interpretation.
The blouse fabric is the last of the stretch, crinkle, hippy evil cotton that I previously sewed her Class Picnic blouse from.
Which is still going strong and went straight from her wardrobe into Tildy's.
photo credit Lidia Keller
This fabric is fun, no denying that. It bleaches well so stains are not a problem and if you hang it after a quick spin, requires minimal ironing.

It is an amazing texture and looks gorgeous but was a complete nightmare to cut and sew.
It stretches if you look at it sideways, it is very bulky where seams meet and it also likes to fray!
I did cut a size 3 Class Picnic blouse from the scraps (to sew when I am feeling stronger) but that is the last of the cloth, thank goodness.
This pattern is gorgeous, the sleeves are amazing, the bottom section is basically a huge square (that gives you an idea about how much fabric is in there)!
I am not thrilled about the fabric, it seems a bit floppy. I think this would be amazing in a hanky linen or cotton poplin with a bit more volume.
We also deliberated leaving the sleeves floaty and asked the Instagram Aunties but logic (and Lotta's most sensible advice) lead us towards keeping the elastic casing.
The skort is very cute,  I used the wool/denim scraps left over from my Valdo Boyfriend jeans (to be blogged) and my Lekala skirt (to be blogged) #ninjacutting.
We sewed our Sakura to the front flap.
I actually like our blossoms better.
I purchased it from eBay but they take about a month to arrive so be prepared and order in advance.
The blossom is iron on, which works well to hold it in place as you stitch it on. I doubt the glue would survive many launderings. 
The skirt flap covers the shorts and is held in place with velcro.
The front has a separate waistband and a flat front.
The back has an elastic casing to cinch it in.
Overall, I like our interpretation, a lot!
Photo credit Zara Keller
~Lidia's Verdict~
I love this outfit! 
The sleeves on the top are gorgeous and I felt so confident walking around in it, I have already worn the top with another pair of bottoms. The skirt is beautiful as well, the blossom on the front makes it look really lovely and I think it might be of my favourite details.


I know the top fabric was a bit tricky for mum to make it but it was definitely worth it in the end I love it, thanks mum.
Photo credit Zara Keller
~My Verdict~
Mixed.
I love the blouse pattern, I think it is utterly fabulous and adore the sleeves.
It was a Lekala custom fit pattern and the fit was good, it could have done with a wee bit more length but that is not hard to add.
I don't like the fabric in this pattern but maybe I am just still slightly traumatised from the experience of sewing it?

The short was a bit hinky. 
Granted, it was a child's pattern but the ease in the back was huge!
When I first sewed them I didn't think Lidia would actually be able to wear them. They were so full they reminded me of the shorts the early aviatrix wore on long trips so they could slip a tin up the leg and wee into.
I tossed the skirt in the wash a few times and they softened up, a bit.
That said, Liddy don't mind so that was fine.
Maybe a softer fabric?
They were also a lot longer than the line drawing but we were both happy about that.
The complete look was sewn from my stash (except for the blossom) 
Winner!

Thank you for reading... xx N

8 comments:

  1. What a super-lovely outfit! I recently sewed a dress with a fabric that also has a kind of crinkle-pleat and it was very weird to work with, and to know how much to flatten it (or not) as I cut and sewed. Ended up fine but I think the fewer seams the better with that kind of beast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!
      I really wasn't sure how much to stretch and how much to leave.
      I don't think my pattern choice was the smartest but at least it is all used up now.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Such a cute outfit! I’d know some young ladies who’d go crazy over this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great interpretation of the outfit. I cut out a crinkle rayon the other day and it was such a pain (seems to be sewing okay but not looking forward to doing bias neckline!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Are you using a different fabric for the bias? I made a Class Picnic blouse and used plain poplin.
      It is a pretty fabric but was so bulky, I hope the rayon is a kinder sew.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. This is so lovely! Glad I could help you decide. I love a floaty blouse sleeve myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so lucky to have our lovely sewing Aunties.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete