Monday, March 11, 2019

New Look 6512 Blouse for Lidia

Just before Christmas, Lidia went shopping with her sister and snapped a photo of a top she liked.


It was an off the shoulder blouse made in a denim with a lace edge embroidered directly onto the fabric.

She asked me if I could make her something like it.

We found a similar pattern pretty quickly.
Spotlight was having a sale so it was around $4.
New Look 6512 
We liked view D without the bows.
Now, fabric.
We found some material on eBay but it was going to be super expensive by the time we paid freight.
I asked the sewing Aunties on Instagram if they had seen anything similar and got a gorgeous response.
Isn't she a poppet?
In the meanwhile, I had a look on the Spotlight website.
Searching gave me little result so I just trawled through ALL the fabric and found Chambray embroidered hem border denim fabric bleach and ivory


It was on sale @ $16/m and I purchased 2m.
Although I had leftover fabric I did need nearly all of that 2m to match the lace up nicely. 
As the fabric was just so pretty I really took my time sewing it.
I pre-neatened the side seams, sewed flat seams and then tucked the edge of the lace in and hand sewed it in place.
It didn't take long at all and gave such a nice finish.
I did my best to line the points up too, as well as I could with the pattern placement.
I also had to add length to the body and make the top more tunic length to use the lace to full advantage.
I finished the sleeve seams the same as the body seams.
Lidia's preference was to have the front and back bands and straps from the plain denim so I cut those from the centre panel.
We chose a small river stone flower button.
A word of warning, There was a faded fold line right down the middle of my fabric. I was able to work around it but it could have been disastrous. If you buy some of this, get them to check it.
Isn't it pretty?
paired with Purl Soho City Gym shorts
Liddy was at school, so I made it up with the recommended elastic length for the casings and it was perfect.
It is such an elegant style and so very pretty.
We did move the back straps in a little at the back as the front was puckering a wee bit with the straps straight.
An easy fix.
It would a been a slightly expensive sew but I was able to make a romper (to be blogged) for Tildy, from the scraps.
#ninjacutting
Next, I sewed a pair of Purl Soho City Gym Shorts from a remnant of Spotlight hanky linen.
I didn't quite have enough binding to cover the edge so I filled in the gap with a wee piece of Guipure lace from my mother's stash.
It is a happy accident.
~Lidia's Verdict~ I discovered inspiration for this blouse when I took Tilly Christmas shopping, we passed a clothes store on the way to the 'Reject shop'. I spotted it in the store, took a photo then sent it off to mum and just like that she made it!
The pattern itself is gorgeous and I would definitely get it sewn again, I could see it in a floaty rayon. The fabric! I love the fabric, it looks amazing sewn thanks to Mumma's skills and is lovely to wear.  Thanks Mum xx
~My Verdict~
I am absolutely thrilled with this sew.
I cut the smallest size for Lidia as per her measurements and I actually did cut the pattern. 
I usually draft my patterns off but I have so many I only sew once and it takes a long time plus it bulks up the pattern packet.
I have now decided current, non precious patterns will be cut.
We will see how that goes.
This is a lovely sew. I would love to make another in a silky rayon.
It went together really well and the instructions were very good too.
I adore it on Lidia and really enjoyed the challenge of working with this fabric.
I think the shoulder straps give Liddy just that bit more confidence of her top not falling down.
I think she looks utterly beautiful 
Thank you for reading... xx N



4 comments:

  1. Great job on the top! It is just beautiful. You really did a nice job on it. I really appreciate that you share your projects. As the mother to a soon to be teen, I find it hard to find sewing inspiration that isn't aimed at little girls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    This is the age when I am so glad I can sew. Liddy is so slim she cant find nice things to fit her and the range of patterns now is amazing. I can always find a pattern similar to a RTW item they have found. Or like this one, something they like better.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how this works with the border embroidery (and the city gym shorts are great, I can't believe it took me so long to make a pair - did the biggest size and they are nearly too small!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the City Gym shorts so much but they don't fit me nicely or cover my SRC shorts, so no go. I love them for my girls though and they are a great #ninjacutting
      Thank you, it is a pretty fabric and a really fun sew.
      xx N

      Delete