Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Vintage Simplicity 7210 Jumpsuit for Zara

I really need to learn to photograph the sewing before I hand it over.
They are jolly hard to pin down for photos.
Last year Zara asked me to sew her a 70's style jumpsuit.
Image from Pinterest
She gave me a picture and set me free.
We found this pattern in a Bendigo Op-Shop.
Perfect, right?
Until I opened it and there were no instructions!
I had a slight freakout but figured it was similar enough to Tildy's overalls I should be able to wing it.
I only had the one size to work with so I knew there was going to be some serious fitting.
#1 Folded several inches from the shorten lines in the leg so we didn't lose any fabulous flare.
#2 Pinched out a lot of fabric (think inches) from the waist and tapered that up to the shoulders.
#3 We needed the bottom ease but scooped several inches from the front crotch seam.
#4 Shortened the sleeve length. 
#5 Omitted some pockets ONLY due to fabric shortage.
#6 Folded a little of the collar point out.
The fabric is a stretch cotton drill we picked up at Eliza Fabrics.
I purchased 3m @$3/m and we used it all, those legs were some fabric hogs.
We used silver press studs for the pockets and a silver buckle for the belt tie.
The zipper is a hardcore, metal teethed one. It is left over from when my mother was sewing apiarist overalls.
I, sure as Sherlock, wouldn't wear it next to my skin but this girl is tough.
Check out that booty!
~Zara's Verdict~
This jumpsuit is absolutely incredible.
I feel like an absolute rockstar when I wear it. It is so, so comfortable and yet so elegant. I simply throw it on, cinch it in around the waist, pop on some mascara and and lippy, then voila, I'm dressed and ready to go out.
The fabric is super stretchy and such a great colour, the fit of it is absolute perfection.
I wore this jumpsuit out for coffee and got an endless stream of compliments.
I have also worn this (jumpsuit) after a big night out and was able to sleep in it.
10 out of 10.
Five gold stars.
10 rotten tomatoes.
All of the above.
xx
~My Verdict~
This was a FUN sew!
It used a lot of fabric but as it was not expensive as I was not  worried about the sew, if it didn't work, we could cut it up for the little girls.
I took my time fitting it on Zara, I did so many fittings but it was worth it.
It was a bulky sew, those legs are huge!
I think she looks grand. A very fun piece of clothing that would cost a bomb to buy and I doubt she could have got one to fit.
Not meaning to blow my own bags, just very happy with the result.
Thank you for reading.... xx N

13 comments:

  1. BOOM. FABULOUS. You killed it, Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on fire! These are so awesome, I really love the way you use vintage patterns and tweak them to get the look you and your kids are after. Loving all the projects you've been sharing lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am sorry for the blog explosion, I have some time on my hands at present.
      Thank you for being so kind.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. She is rocking that jumpsuit. Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's absolutely awesome! No frickin'way you could buy a jumpsuit to fit like that. It would have been a good make at $30/metre!! I would have been so tempted to add a little Laverne & Shirley style monogram (and isn't Zara glad that you didn't! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did suggest a fancy cursive Z, no thank you!
      Thank you, it was a great sew, I just wish I has got some awesome photos of her in it (not just slept in Ikea ones, mind you, I never looked that good hungover)
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Boiler suits! I think I remember seeing them in a shop once during my early childhood! They are EVERYWHERE! But who needs a shop when mum has fabric and a pattern. You instead get a one of a kind boiler suit - genius! I’ve had a request for a zip up front jumpsuit - I’ll have to show her this to see if she’d go for the style or something simpler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete