Sunday, March 3, 2019

Simplicity 5616 Vintage for Zara

Zara is just as much fun to sew for as Tildy.
She asked me to sew a few select pieces for her up and coming Teaching placement.

This gorgeous vintage dress from the 70's was chosen.
The fabric is a polyester/mix (it took a very hot iron) which we picked up for $2 in an Op Shop in Bendigo, last year.
It is actually a tiny Houndstooth and has a 'sheen' like a sand-washed silk.
There are so many cute details to the dress.
The elegant, square neck line is faced and under-stitched which in turn is hand caught on the inside to keep it in place.
The front bodice is gathered in two parts and sewn to a centre placket.
The pattern called for one placket, interfaced but I self fabric interfaced it for more body. I dislike bare interfacing on the inside of a garment.
The sleeves are a little puffier than we both would like but I finished it whilst Zara was at work and she was too nice to make me unpick them and remove the bulk.
She pulls  the look off.
The back sash is set into the side seams but is more decorative then functional as we spent quite a bit of time fitting the side seams.
I used an invisible zipper but I wish I had used a regular one as I dislike the zipper showing here.
Fitting this dress I had flashbacks to my mother sewing for me!
Zara wanted it very fitted, I felt she needed some more ease, just a little, she wanted it tight, I got cranky...
We compromised.
It is firmer than I would like, not as tight as she would like, the zipper shows a wee bit but the sash covers it and as Zara said 'I can't see my backside' 
Onto the next argument.
Length.
I think it is a wee bit short but she held out for that one.
I hand sewed a huge hem, for one, to add some weight to keep it down and two, so if she changes her mind I can let it down.
To allow for her gorgeous derriere it is hemmed longer at the back by an inch, slowly eased out to half an inch at the side seams.
And she has promised to wear good knickers under it.
~Zara's Verdict~
This dress is just way too adorable, the neckline combined with the puffed sleeves gives it that ...(I'm looking for a word like sexy but not sexy) edge.
Overall, such a cute piece that I can pair with white tennis shoes for brunch or Uni, or a pair of heels and bolder makeup for a night out.
Thank's Mum, you have done it again. x

~My Verdict~
As I said, Zara is great fun to sew for.
She is very honest, which can be initially confronting, but at least you get a garment you are both happy with.
I think she is totally adorable in this and looked every bit the groovy, young student teacher.
It is a nice pattern.
I did self line the front waist detail as well as the front placket. I think it sits better for it and I think leaving the interfacing visible looks sloppy. 
The fabric is great and, according to Zara, completely wash and wear, no ironing.
Bonus!

Thank you for reading.... xx N


Photo credit Lidia Keller 

10 comments:

  1. Just lovely!! I'm in a sewing slump but have plans for my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Planning can be just as much fun as the sewing, hallooo Pinterest ;)
      I have been sewing a lot but since I am not least feeding anymore I realised I just don't sit down much.
      I miss blogging, I miss the interaction, I want to get back to it more regularly.
      Thank you for reading and commenting.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. amazing you and your daughter have beautiful style. You have inspired me to start sewing for my nearly 16 year old daughter who is tiny and fits into size 10 to 12 girls clothes and was getting sad that their was nothing to fit her in her age group. I have gone though all your posts and just love all the outfits for the girls. Keep posting thak you so much for sharing jodie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodie, what a lovely thing to say!
      My girls all have trouble finding clothes that fit so I am glad I can sew.
      Does your daughter like vintage style? The patterns from the 70's had a more petite fit so they are great for tiny girls.
      I look forward to hearing about your sewing.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. She’s tiny so she can pull the length off significantly well. Stick this on my daughter (who is much taller yet slightly younger) and she’d be told to put something underneath it. It might be a little short for prac but she can always sort that out with some shortie bike pants or something. I love it! I think it’s perfect on her and reflects the style of many young teachers. One of our teachers at school would certainly wear something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very short but if she is happy, I am happy.
      She is 19 now so too old for me to tell her what to do ;)

      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Yay! So glad to see your recent posts. I have two teenage daughters and I find your sewing very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I was worried I would be annoying posting so many at once.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous dress! Sewing for the newly emerging woman is indeed tricky. Sewing WITH the same individual is even harder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes.
    I have also been caught out when not insisting on a fitting or making a n adjustment I knew would be uncomfortable (because they are adults, right)? and then it doesn't get worn!
    Ahh, rant over.
    Thank you so much, she is wearing this one, particularly as it doesn't need ironing...
    xx N

    ReplyDelete