Thursday, April 28, 2016

Zara~ Round Up

I finished Zara's turn on the #sewingrota.
Liesl+Co Bento tee and City Gym shorts combo.
Or two!
A Lekala hooded jacket
Another Lekala, this time a wrap skirt.
Yet another Lekala, a tee-shirt.
A pair of Vado slim fit jeans.
Named  Alexandria Peg trousers.
A gorgeous Cynthia Rowley dress.

Finally...
Another Burda camisole.

I think she made some lovely choices. 

What I have learnt.
Sewing four outfits, for each of the older girls, is too much. Patience is not a strong point for teenagers and they want what they want, straight away.
Patience is not a strong point for tired mothers of wakeful toddlers either.


I really wanted to deliver an armful of beautiful clothes (and I hope I did) but they were already planning the next item when I wanted them admiring the one I had just finished, dammit!

We had some pretty horrid unpleasantness this time round. Both of us reacted badly (at times) and as I am the grown up I have to put my hand up and take the blame and sort it better, next time.

~Zara's Verdict~
I felt a bit awful to find out that I was upsetting mum.
 I agree with what she said above. I absolutely understand and agree with the idea to have only two outfits at a time. It will mean less of a wait for all of us for our turns. 
I love all of my items that mum made me and am really looking forward  to my next turn as it will be the making of my formal dress! 


Although this was a pretty exhausting experience I think all three of us learned something.
For me, I need to accept a 'thanks' and move on. If I want a enthusiastic response, share it with my sewing friends.

For the Twins, Mum has feelings too and that they need to plan what they would like a little better and be better at communicating.

If you got through all that, well done!

xx Nicole.




16 comments:

  1. You made such a beautiful outfits. You are a good mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb, I can be a bit cranky, I need to work on that.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. you made some amazing outfits! Sorry to hear you've been having a rough time but I'm glad you mentioned it -- your output is so impressive and appears effortless. It's good for all of us who look up to you to know that that's not always the case ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, that is so kind of you.
      I am lucky, they are a great bunch of young people, but I think I do spoil the Twins a bit. I have chatted with other twin mothers and it is not uncommon. Mother guilt that they never got you one-on-one I think.

      Raising fine young people is a constant re-adjustment of goal, hopefully I get there by the time Trixie is of age.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. This is a beautiful selection of clothes and it does sound like everyone took away some important and good lessons from the experience! Like you, I look to my sewing friends rather than my kids for an "enthusiastic" response to my work! HA! I hope you will be next on the rota after Hugo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we did Inder, this parenting teens is hard!
      My expectations are too high, when I got a bit snippy (about the lack of 'praise') they were genuinely surprised.
      Thank you, I will finish Hugo's sports coat and then some jeans for me. I have pretty well next to nothing at the moment.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Great outfits! Mmm I can see similar problems with my twins in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are good girls Kate. I just need to remember that just because they look like women, they are still girls.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Holy Capsule Wardrobe, Bat Woman!
    K has neither asked for nor wanted anything made by me lately. That makes me a bit sad but also relieved. It's not easy to coordinate sewing mojo and desire/appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you C, you are right, it is a mini capsule.
      To be honest, I did ask the Twins if they would rather me not sew for them but I was surprised that they do. I think they have scanned the shops and realised they have champagne tastes on a lemonade budget.
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Lovely clothes, all of them. I'm sorry it was a rough go this time around, but it sounds like all parties have learned something and maybe your tweaks will make the rota process go more smoothly overall! I really love that Burda camisole; it is so flattering on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Masha. I appreciate your kind words.
    Two outfit each or only one if it is a big project (like a coat) a month sewing for the same teen is too long.
    I think the Burda cami may be a regular and at approximately and hours sewing time, I don't mind a jot.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zara sure got some beautiful outfits this turn!! Wow what a stunning wardrobe!!

    Teenagers can be so fickle at times. Your sewing friends totally "get" the work you put into sewing things up and appreciate your makes. I'm sure the girls do too, but may not show that appreciation right away.

    PS. I'll be working on Hugo's shirt today or tomorrow! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So excited Kristin, I have resisted telling him, he will be stoked.
      xx N

      Delete
  9. That wrap skirt is my favourite. Good on you for your patience and expressing your disappoint with the girls and them accepting it and trying to fix it with you. Parenting done right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you AJ.
    I definitely think swopping to fewer outfits and a higher turnover will be best.
    Thank you for your lovely comment.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete