Saturday, August 19, 2017

Calvin Klein Shorts for Zara

More fabric from my Melbourne trip.
Super cute shorts for Zara.
~The Background~
My fashion conscious little possum has been obsessing over 'mom jeans'.
These are high waisted, rigid denim, firm in the waist/bottom but not in the thigh.
Zara has a teeny, teeny tiny waist and a gorgeous full derriere that puts her across several sizes but I was fairly confident that the generous ease in the above pattern would make it do-able.
I used the leftover black denim from Jed's Jedediah jeans. It is a heavy, rigid denim, good and wide, no flaws $4/m.
From 2m I cut both items #ninjacutting.
This fabric was hardcore!
It took some serious bashing with my hammer and I broke several size 16 needles on my Bernina Industrie.
I topstitched with heavy jeans thread and boy are these things topstitched.
I took inches and inches off the waist and recut the front pieces before inserting the zipper (to take off the sides would have spoiled the pockets).
We also moved the pockets up and inward to 'enhance' the bottom.
They are so worth all the fiddling, she looks great and I now have a go to pattern for her.
I think this is such a cute look and shows off her sporty figure well.
I was honoured when she wore them on our recent Melbourne trip, I don't think they look homemade at all!
~Zara's Verdict~
Black Shorts: These shorts are so perfect, I dont have the easiet body shape to sew for, expecially my bottom half. I have a smaller waist with a quite plump bottom and upper thighs. Somehow mum managed to fit these shorts perfectly. She is very talented. They are exactly what I had in mind. They almost seem like they are straight out a F.R.I.E.N.D`s episode, which I love. The main outfit I have in mind for them, is to pair them with my black suede heel boots and a long sleeved blouse that ties at the front (like the image below)

Love, love, love them.


Thanks for reading

xx N

10 comments:

  1. Well done--they fit so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the fit spot on, well done! They look great on her. I have always had a similar issue with pants fitting. I was thankful after having babies that my waistline filled out a bit and evened things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I find is vaguely amusing that my older girls will put up with poor fitting bought clothes but are very demanding of my sewing....
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Those look fantastic! My daughters and I have the same fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all such different shapes, aren't we? Zara tends to favour 'boyfriend' jeans as they give her the ease she likes.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. I love a good high-waisted jean, but I have to say, the cover of that Vogue pattern would not have jumped out at me in a good way! You are so clever to see the "bones" of a pattern like that and not get distracted by all of that hideous light washed denim and bagginess! Because the final product are CU-UUUUUUTE! I would totally wear those! What a journey with that fabric and various blunt instruments - Zara is a lucky girl but she knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To be perfectly honest Inder, it was all Zara. I tried to steer her into Vado jeans and with all the fiddling about I had to do I think that may have been an easier sew but she was determined to use the pattern #labelssweetie.

    That said, this is a really nicely cut pattern with a great zipper installation.

    Thank you for your lovely, thoughtful comment.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  6. They DO look out of a Friends episode, and not at all homemade. When you see them laid out flat it's clear why atorebiught shorts would be very tough to find for her. well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Masha, that is the best thing about sewing, isn't it? Being able to fit our loved ones.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete