Monday, November 23, 2020

OOP Style 2195 Frock for Beatrix

I apologise for the photo heavy post but...
I just made Trixie the prettiest dress.

Trixie is growing so fast and her last posh frock was getting a bit small.

Awww, Tiny Trixie.


We chose OOP Style 2195, a circa 1978 vintage pattern.

Even though we are coming into Summer, the fabric is so light, I decided to go with long sleeves. I couldn't resist the shoulder ruffles (I am a sucker for ruffles)

I decided to self line the bodice, placing the pieces wrong sides together and then treating as one.


The skirt would have been too grippy to self line (plus I didn't have enough fabric) so I used the leftover Bemsilk from Tilly's posh frock (to be blogged).

The time I finished the two skirts separately, the placed the wrong sides together and basted together at the skirt top.

I zigzagged the back opening edges together almost all the way down the opening. I leave a gap at the bottom to poke the end of the zipper through. The zipper is installed after the main dress is completed.

I used an invisible zipper, although not a fan (I have problems with them breaking) but it was my best colour match.

I was also concerned the fabric would tuck and look unsightly with a regular zipper.

I hummed and hawed (and Marco Polo-ed my sewing mates) over what to trim it with.
A black and white gingham bow, three little black buttons at the neck, a stem stitched fawn outline on the front?
 In the end, I decided on a simple, grey, grosgrain sash and a little silver 'E' charm.


On to the fabric.

It is a baby muslin, an unusual colour, not brown, not pink, sort of a mixture of both.

It features a tiny fawn print, in black.

Trixie found it in the remnant bin at Spotlight and was entranced.

It was not the easiest to sew, it puckered and stretched very easily and I am not entirely sure it was meant to be a dress fabric. I think it was meant for baby wraps.

It may fall apart at the first wash.


Or it may wash like a tea towel.


But Trixie loves it so much, I just don't mind a jot!

~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the reindeer, I like the reindeer a lot. I like the reindeer on the mask, I like the reindeer on the dress.
I like the mask, a lot, Mumma, a lot.
I like the colour, it is like a rose.
I like the feel it is soft and softer than my old dress.
The petticoat (lining NMK) is swishy and feels nice.
The is a good dress for going to Town.
~My Verdict~

This is such a lovely pattern. The chest ruffles are so pretty and the full sleeves are elegant but perfectly play appropriate. 

The four panel skirt has swish but not excessive amounts of fabric.

I did run into a problem when attaching the bodice to the skirt, I had over an inch too much bodice. I am not sure whether the fabric stretched out ( it was incredibly delicate to handle) but the bemsilk lining was too big to and that would not stretch....

I am really not sure so I made a note on the pattern and will check the pattern pieces. To rectify this, I gathered the bodice, at the side seam, between the ruffles, at each side and then slowly basted the bodice to the skirt. With the sash in place you really cannot notice it.

The fabric was challenging. It tucked and twisted and Trixie had not been so excited to wear this dress I may have put it aside.

It did make a lovely face mask though!

I used this pattern by Atelier Scämmit 
As I was sewing the dress, South Australia was in a strict 6 day lockdown and face masks were mandatory. It was quickly discovered that a chuckle head had lied about his employment and the restriction was relaxed. 
I think I will still sew masks with the scraps of my garments as I am sure they will be used.


Thank you for reading and stay safe..... xx Nicole

 

6 comments:

  1. So pretty! And a lucky break for SA with the whole lockdown thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we were so lucky but I was impressed that the state acted so quickly.
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful posh frock. No wonder Trixie is thrilled. And I love the idea of a matching mask. Keep safe keep well and always keep cheerful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I love it on her!
      The masks are still quite a novelty for the girls but we are lucky Trixie is happy to keep it on.
      Keep safe, won't you?
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  3. Nicole, I love Trixie's dress! I hope you remember me from years ago... oliver+s community... Trixie was a twinkle in your eye! I have never forgotten you and your wonderful sewing (and adorable kids). I was looking for 'help' stitching a Hopscotch tee (for our newest grandbaby) and a terrific tutorial popped up - from you! Sending loving wishes for a holiday filled with the joys and blessings this time of year can bring, in spite of the challenges 2020 has seen! xo, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Nancy,
    Of course I remember you and your delightful 'Bee Baby Mine' clothing. Your twin grandchildren must be quite grown up now!
    I am so excited to hear of a new grand baby, enjoy those precious newborn cuddles.
    Thank you for your lovely comments!
    Keep safe and well!
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete