I just made Trixie the prettiest dress.Trixie is growing so fast and her last posh frock was getting a bit small.Awww, Tiny Trixie.
We chose OOP Style 2195, a circa 1978 vintage pattern.
Even though we are coming into Summer, the fabric is so light, I decided to go with long sleeves. I couldn't resist the shoulder ruffles (I am a sucker for ruffles)I decided to self line the bodice, placing the pieces wrong sides together and then treating as one.
The skirt would have been too grippy to self line (plus I didn't have enough fabric) so I used the leftover Bemsilk from Tilly's posh frock (to be blogged).
The time I finished the two skirts separately, the placed the wrong sides together and basted together at the skirt top.
I zigzagged the back opening edges together almost all the way down the opening. I leave a gap at the bottom to poke the end of the zipper through. The zipper is installed after the main dress is completed.
I used an invisible zipper, although not a fan (I have problems with them breaking) but it was my best colour match.
I was also concerned the fabric would tuck and look unsightly with a regular zipper.I hummed and hawed (and Marco Polo-ed my sewing mates) over what to trim it with.
On to the fabric.
It is a baby muslin, an unusual colour, not brown, not pink, sort of a mixture of both.
It features a tiny fawn print, in black.
Trixie found it in the remnant bin at Spotlight and was entranced.
It was not the easiest to sew, it puckered and stretched very easily and I am not entirely sure it was meant to be a dress fabric. I think it was meant for baby wraps.It may fall apart at the first wash.
Or it may wash like a tea towel.
But Trixie loves it so much, I just don't mind a jot!~Trixie's Verdict~
This is such a lovely pattern. The chest ruffles are so pretty and the full sleeves are elegant but perfectly play appropriate.
The four panel skirt has swish but not excessive amounts of fabric.
I did run into a problem when attaching the bodice to the skirt, I had over an inch too much bodice. I am not sure whether the fabric stretched out ( it was incredibly delicate to handle) but the bemsilk lining was too big to and that would not stretch....
I am really not sure so I made a note on the pattern and will check the pattern pieces. To rectify this, I gathered the bodice, at the side seam, between the ruffles, at each side and then slowly basted the bodice to the skirt. With the sash in place you really cannot notice it.
The fabric was challenging. It tucked and twisted and Trixie had not been so excited to wear this dress I may have put it aside.
It did make a lovely face mask though!