Monday, April 12, 2021

NewLook 6378 Soft Coat, Liesl+Co Bento tee and OOP Butterick 3179 Shorts for Elsa

 I did some sneaky Christmas sewing this year....

I love what I made for Elsa.

She looked absolutely amazing in it.


I used Newlook 6372 for the soft coat. The fabric is a rayon from Spotlight that has a slight 'twill' finish. It was a nightmare to sew, it frayed badly and did not want to take a pressed fold.

The pattern directed you to just turn and stitch the hem but I didn't think that was a nice enough finish so I decided to bind all the edges.

I made binding using my bias making tool (which was not a happy task) but by damping with a water spray, running it through the tool, placing weights on the made bias and then promptly rolling in on some card, it made a pleasing bias.


A favourite among my girls, the Bento tee (View B) was my choice for the top. I used a very soft, very stretchy cotton/modal from Elizas Fabrics. 


This is such a nice pattern but all Liesl patterns are!

Liddy was rather keen on the one I made Elsa...

The shorts pattern was an Op Shop find. The pattern was well worn and quite tatty so I guess the original owner liked them too!


I made the 'Jamaica' version which were super, super short.


I added elastic to the back casing, to create a great fit but keep them comfortable to wear.

~My Verdict~

I had quite a bit of fun putting this outfit together. Elsa seemed to like it but admitted it was not an ensemble she would have come out with.

Although a very simple pattern, the nature of the fabric made the soft coat a challenging sew (which I enjoy)

The Bento tee is always a good sew, the neat, shaped sleeve cuff sits so nicely. The neck band is very slim so I tend to machine baste it in place and then run it through my overlocker. 

The shorts are a fabulous fit and I have already sewn another pair for Elsa and cut two pair for Liddy. I did use View A, with the longer leg, as Elsa felt the Jamaica shorts were a bit 'cheeky' for her.

A lovely sew for my gorgeous girl!

Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 









2 comments:

  1. So is "soft coat" the new term for kimono jacket? All these terms lol. I love that pink. It's very soft and pretty and is perfect. The whole outfit is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment.
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete