Monday, August 2, 2021

OOP Butterick 3642 Top, McCall's M7843 Pants, Zara XMAS

 I like to make my chaps a sewn gift each for Christmas, but fittings and keeping something a surprise can be tricky so I have to rely on good measurement taking. (Not to mention them not being available for said fittings)

I wanted to make Zara some pretty, fun pieces. She changes her 'aesthetic' frequently so I chose fabrics that I thought she may like but Liddy liked as well so if Zara didn't want them, it was not a problem. I guess I considered the garments 'wearable muslins'.

I love this pattern so much!

It needs to be sewn in a very, stretchy knit. The neck is fully faced, with an interfaced piece and you are also instructed to apply interface to the main top. This keeps the neck from pulling out of shape and prevents tucks when sewing an interfaced knit to an un-interfaced knit.
The bottom of the top has a slightly gathered elastic casing and I decided to do the same to the sleeves hem (gather, rather than leave floaty).

For the bottoms I used McCall's M7843 view D.


I shortened the legs by a few inches (at the shorten line) and also tapered the legs in at the knee and kicked out a bit more at the hem to exaggerate the bell bottom.
The seperate waistband give a smart finish to an elastic waist pant.

I used the leftover fabric from Zara's 21st dress (to be blogged) a very soft and pretty knit from Spotlight.

For her second outfit I made her a blouse and skirt.



The blouse is a similar style to Matilda's top 

I used some pretty, apple green cotton gingham from deep stash.

I decided to gather the sleeve cuffs with elastic rather than leave flounced.
For the skirt I used Lekala #5984 in a stretch cotton drill from Massdestash on eBay 
I shortened the hem and raised the splits slightly.
Zara requested the next one a little shorter and the splits a bit higher but the fit was perfect!



~Zara's Verdict~

(Couldn't pin her down) 



~My Verdict~
I had a lot of fun sewing these pieces up for Zara. I doubt she will pair any of them as outfits (although I loved them on her) but I hope will wear them with other things.
As wearable muslins, they were a great success. I am so happy with the fit considering they were all sewn by measurement only.
Lidia was very taken with Zara's top too and has requested her own versions.
It's a reasonably complicated sew, very much a 'top' not a 'tee' but the results are worth it.

The pants were a very quick sew and now I have a pattern sorted I shall be able to sew them on demand. I think they could make a nice trouser look bottom in a ponte or heavy weight jersey too.

The blouse has won my heart! I could see it in eyelet, soft denim, lawn... the list in endless and as it ties, it is adjustable.


I nailed the skirt (If I do say so myself) and I think this will be very handy for Zara as a work skirt (as is) and a shorter version for fun!
Lekala rarely lets us down.

Thank you for reading .... xx Nicole 













6 comments:

  1. Oh I love the aesthetic you and your girls have. Fun, colourful and really unique. I love the vintage patterns. That sparkly knit is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I hope she wore them, no photos though so I am not sure,
      Keep safe
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. I hope y'all are doing well and keeping safe. I miss your posts ♥️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, what a lovely thing to read. I have a number of posts just waiting for photos (these Kidults are hard to pin down)
      I hope you are well too.
      Strange times.
      xx Nicole

      Delete
    2. Truly. Extremely strange. I get that! My youngest is 19 and has a whirlwind of a life, so I know how that can be! 🤣♥️ Glad to see you're still around! And, a post today! Such a treat! ♥️

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for the gentle push to get back to blogging. I love it and need to make an effort.
      xx Nicole

      Delete