Saturday, July 2, 2022

OOP Style 1134 , OOP Butterick 3179 and Kwiksew 2740 for Matilda.

 

A modern take on a vintage pattern, by Tildy.

Image from Pinterest

My girls love Pinterest and it is great for ideas.
Matilda found the outfit above and I sent her looking through my patterns. I have got wiser with the younger girls, I make them choose their pattern rather than me find it. I have a lot of patterns and it is a big job to trawl through them all, I found the older girls would say 'Yes' to my suggestions because they couldn't be bothered looking themselves and then we had a lot of rejected sewing because I 'picked' the pattern.

Tildy chose OOP Style 1334, a lovely fit and flare skirted pinafore and Kwiksew 2740 for the top.
The corduroy came from Spotlight and it was nice enough, not Drapery quality but not that awful inky smelling stuff you can get.

I reversed the nap of the fabric, a la Liesl Gibson, as it gives a lush finish.


The bodice is lined with poplin, a pretty remnant that I picked up at Spotlight.

The pinafore fastens with a long zipper, that is set into the garment when you have finished sewing it.
Most vintage patterns will get you do this. I like it, it makes replacing a broken zipper easier.
I had a lot of trouble finding the burgundy lycra for the top. One of the few colours I don't have in my stash. I eventually found it on eBay
Kwiksew do a lovely knit pattern and this one is no exception. A lovely shape to the sides and a good length.

While we were looking for brown corduroy we found a small piece of mustard yellow pinwale cord.

Just enough for our favourite shorts pattern, OOP Butterick 3179.
PS If anyone has a size 12 they would be happy to sell, please let me know.

This pattern is super quick to sew, with patch pockets and a basic zipper application.
By inserting elastic is the back waistband the fit is adjustable between Liddy and Tilly.
How cool is the girl!
~My Verdict~
I adore this outfit on Tilly. The pinafore was a lovely sew. I shortened the skirt 7 inches and then ended up trimming a further 2 1/2 inches after fitting.

I graded the waist seam as it was quite bulky and I hand sewed the bodice lining in place before topstitching from the right side.
The narrow, double hem lets the skirt swing nicely, another option would have been to finish it with bias.
The t-shirt was just the fit Tilly was after. She is quite fussy with her tees as she has a lot of moles that need covering from the sun.
 She also has a C-D cup bust and this patterns has discreet easing/gathering in the front piece side seam that gives her some breathing room.
 SHORTS PAPER
We love this shorts pattern. I picked it up in an Op-Shop and, sadly, the view with the set in pockets is missing.
I have made at least 10 pairs, shared between Elsa, Lidia and Matilda.
It is a very simple pattern, without a seperate fly piece, but in light to medium weight fabric, that is fine.
~Matilda's Verdict~
I love corduroy, it's really cool and feels cool. I like the deep V and the sleeveless (style) of the pinafore as I can wear something under it. The skivvies are very warm, in Winter I can wear it with stockings too, as a layering piece.
I like the short sleeve skivvy for Autumn weather. 
I love this pattern (the shorts) and I love yellow, the yellow corduroy is perfect.

Thank you for reading, stay safe and well.... xx Nicole 


No comments:

Post a Comment