Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Lekala #5999

Another sew for Liddy, another Witchery knock off.
Same story as before, Lidia found a tunic she loved on Witchery.
Tunic available from Witchery
I had some divine, soft, brushed cotton in my stash and after perusing Lekala we found this shirt 
Lekala #5999
Liddy loved it!
The only problem was that it was designed for a stretch not a rigid cloth.
We looked at all the other shirt patterns I had but Liddy kept coming back to this one.
After grumbling to Jed about it he asked if I could just size up?
Lekala make personalised patterns to your measurements. I added 2 cm to each of Liddy's and crossed my fingers.
It worked!
The fit is perfect.
Just enough ease and growth for a 13 year old.
I added a back yoke facing as it was only a single layer.
The neckline is pretty and grown up but not too low.
The sleeve placket was new to me.
Lekala directions are very much on the light side. There was a link to a youtube tutorial but my internet was down when I was sewing this, so I muddled through.
I did end up with an 1 cm raw edge so I ironed a wee bit of interfacing over it before top stitching.
That neck ruffle is perfection!
I definitely need some practice with attaching ruffles, I should have given more ease over the curved edges of the collar.
Again, the instruction were not that clear on how to attach the front facing so I sewed my collar stand, then the front facing and then pressed, clipped and turned, pressed again and edge stitched the bottom of the collar stand catching the top raw edge of the facing underneath. 
I carefully pressed and pinned the under facing and then topstitched from the right side.
~Lidia's Verdict~
This shirt fits me so perfectly with a little bit of ease at the back and under the arms. I love the frills and the cuffs with the slits of skin, see below. I love how it is a normal shirt with a couple of special additions to add a bit of character in it. 
~My Verdict~
Lekala patterns are a good challenge for me. Although very well cut and excellent value for money the instructions are minimal (I do believe they offer prompt email support).
I quite like the 'Euro' feel to the clothes and Liddy loves them.
This shirt was such a fun sew (but a solid 6 hour sew).

Thanks for reading xx N

PS Yes, I noticed the uneven hem, I will go back and fix it ;)

14 comments:

  1. Just gorgeous! Both shirt and daughter. It is lovely to see the choices Liddy makes - she has such an individual style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne, she is a sweetheart.
      I like her style too.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. This is lovely! I'm really enjoying all your Witchery knockoffs. I enjoy shopping there but often I look at the pieces and know that there's a pattern that replicates the same piece almost perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Robyn.
    I do like Witchery and buy all my knits from there and quite a few shoes too.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful!! The fit is perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks really lovely, a perfect balance between grown up and girl. It suits her beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she knows what she likes and what looks good on her.
      xx N

      Delete
  6. Beautiful style on this shirt! So many different details - seams, ruffles, and cuffs. Love it especially on her. You did a great job with the fit. She'll be sewing her own clothes in no time and will have you to thank for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much.
      I cannot take any credit for the fit, all Lekala!
      Liddy and Tildy are both quite keen on sewing, I must encourage it.
      xx N

      Delete
  7. that does look like lovely brushed cotton - nicely done shirt. I am bumbling my way through a long sleeved shirt in rayon for me, cuffs hems and button/holes to go.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is such nice fabric.
    Rayon is a touch more fiddly to sew...
    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing. Totally love it.

    ReplyDelete