Elsa fell in love with a gorgeous romper on Witchery.
|Witchery.com romper no longer available|
I searched in vain for a similar fabric... until I had an idea.
I found this on the Spotlight website.
It is a light weight curtaining fabric but I wonder if I could try dyeing it.
It dyed surprisingly well.
I simply pre-washed the fabric and then tossed it in the washing machine with the Rit dye and then hung it on the clothes line.
Elsa and Zara have both pulled this pattern out, at times but it is so short and neither girl liked the matching knickers.
Zara had the above pattern out, looking at the blouse and I showed the trousers to Elsa, suggesting making them into hot pants.
I hand sewed a deep hem and used satin binding at the waist.
I really wanted a good finish on this garment so I took the time to hand sew all the hems, including flounce seams as I was concerned they would be visible.
I had very sore fingers after pressing and shaping the flounce hem.
Elsa wanted the dress shaped but not fitted so I simply got her to pop the main dress on, inside out and I gently pinned some extra shape into it.
Like many vintage patterns it has great darts, including shoulder darts.
And those sleeves are just incredible!
Elsa wore it when we went out shopping and people were coming up to her to ask her about her outfit not to mention all the turned heads.
We both felt quite chuffed.
And it twirls!