Thursday, February 15, 2018

A Christmas Dress for Liddy- Gunne Sax Simplicity #9015

I wanted to sew each of my tribe something nice for Christmas.
I made Liddy a dress.
I have had the pattern in my stash for quite a while.
A pretty Gunne Sax pattern from the late 70's.
I did a quick google regarding the name, thinking it must be something French and it is simply a poke at the 'gunny sack' that grain or chook feed comes in. Read here if you would like to know more.
Romper from witchery.com no longer available 
For inspiration, I turned to Witchery , once again.
In an effort to stash reduce I gave up some pretty blue linen ( purchased at Bendigo Spotlight)  I had set aside to make myself a shirt. Although it looks beautiful it was not a happy sew and frayed terribly making the gathering of ruffles quite unpleasant, even after neatening the edge first.
I purchased the flowers from eBay .
Normally I would stitch these down but I was concerned Liddy may not like them so I just pressed them in place with the adhesive on the back of them.
She has since peeled them off so my assumption was a good one. 
I left off the lace trims and added some belt carriers for the zingy yellow plaited leather belt.
I thought this would be quite a quick sew but with a separate waistband, inseam invisible zipper and bound arm holes it was a good, solid project,
I got so, so lucky with the fit. I only had one size and I hoped there would be just enough ease to fit her and it did!
~Lidia's Verdict~
When I opened my 'something to wear' present from mum on Christmas day I was so excited. The first thing I saw was the lovely blue linen then as I unfolded it, the tissue-paper it was wrapped in came away to reveal some beautiful pink and yellow flowers. The delicious yellow, suede belt was even more of a surprise! 
The dress is beautifully made and I can not wait for another weekend  or even a day in Adelaide as an excuse to wear it again. I love it.

Thank you for reading!
xx N


12 months later... an updated photo for 'Splendidcakes' 

SaveSave
SaveSave

15 comments:

  1. That yellow belt is the perfect finishing touch! I remember Gunne Sax dresses - there was a Jessica McClintock stor at the mall and my mother and I used to window shop there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This suits her so much ;o) I have a similiar new look pattern that is cold shoulder/ruffle top of dress of romper but it's multisize and I need to work out what size and trace off.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I am so lucky it fitted, not by much in the waist. Is it for you or Miss F?
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Masha has left a new comment on your post "A Christmas Dress for Liddy- Gunne Sax Simplicity ...":

    That yellow belt is the perfect finishing touch! I remember Gunne Sax dresses - there was a Jessica McClintock stor at the mall and my mother and I used to window shop there.

    I used to gaze at the Jessica McClintock sewing patterns my mum had and wish I was old enough!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was a little girl, Gunne Sax was all the rage! Their dresses were so pretty and romantic! And sure enough, this dress is just gorgeous on Liddy! That color! The linen! I'm sure it was a pain to work with, but this is a gorgeous summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Inder.
      My mother sewed formal dresses for the 'posh' girls at school. Many Gunne Sax and Espirit dress patterns in taffeta, water wave taffeta.
      I was so jealous!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. It's a stunning dress, looks fabulous on her - and I love her appreciative commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a stunning dress, looks fabulous on her - and I love her appreciative commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to the party, but I thought you might enjoy hearing that this is the pattern my mom used to make my dress for the 9th grade dance- in 1979 😀. Your version is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment!
      I loved hearing your wee story and i put an updated photo on the blog post, just for you!
      xx N

      Delete
    2. Awwwwww thank you so much! She looks great and boy has she grown ��. Now if only I knew offhand where a picture from the ninth grade dance would be - your daughter would get a kick out of seeing me in my white 70s heels and suntan stockings ������

      Delete
    3. Darn it my laughing emojis were lost in translation :(

      Delete
    4. No, non, I felt them
      xx Thank you

      Delete