Tuesday, March 24, 2020

M7840 McCall's 7840 Blouse for Elsa

Elsa has started a new part time job.
She is working at the Silo Cafe, in Coonalpyn.
A lovely little place that looks over the painted silos and serves very good coffee.
The Silo Art Trail Series is well worth a look.
Elsa is enjoying the work and they are extremely flexible with her Uni hours.
Just before she started (and I mean JUST) I received a SOS for a work blouse.
I knew just the pattern.
Very loose-fitting pullover tops with back yoke and dropped shoulder have collar, sleeve, pocket and length variations. B: Side slits. D: Wrong side of fabric will show on shaped hem.
Elsa's bust put her in the size 12 but I knew that would be huge so I cut the size 10.
I ended up sewing View B with the pocket and the hem of View C.
We also added button as it was a bit 'tits out wahoo' for a work top.
White faux shell for easy care.
The fabric is a mystery poly crepe I picked up in the remnant bin at Spotlight.
It has a matt, textured finish and took quite a hot iron.
It drapes beautifully but was not pleasant to sew, I found it snagged on my hands (but I have workmen hands)
I do like the back yoke detail but it is a single layer. I will definitely cut two and make a double yoke (burrito method) next time.
Elsa will only wear it with a half tuck which adds some waist definition to the look.
It's quite hard to see but the oversize pocket, finished with a top flap, is a nice detail.
~Elsa's Verdict~
The blouse is absolutely perfect for work, the coffee bar and kitchen can get quite hot from the steam and the cook tops.
The looseness of the blouse lets the air flow through which creates a cooling effect.
It looks professional whilst still being trendy which is spot on for the cafe I work at.
Thanks again Mummy x
~My Verdict~
I purchased this pattern a few months back when Spotlight was having one of their pattern sales ($4 each)?
When Elsa said she need a blouse for work but wanted something snappy I knew I had just the pattern.
This design is roomy, very room, really too roomy.
It would be a great pattern for a cuddly petite build as the shoulders are not too full but there is plenty of body ease.
I would advise sizing back, I will cut the next size down for Elsa's next one.
The drape-ier the fabric, the better, I would think.
A nice pattern, it has a separate collar stand which you can omit the collar from.
The sleeves fit in nicely and the armholes are not too wide (I find some oversize shirts are actually uncomfortable and pull at the shoulders/underarms)
The tab front construction is straight forward. It is not the RockStar finish of the O+S Jumprope dress but it does the job.
I finished the hems with a narrow, double hem as they are visible at times.

I will definitely sew it again.

Thank you for reading.... xx N


2 comments:

  1. Love the silos! has her cafe had to close??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cafe is still open but car service only. I am not sure how many shifts Elsa is getting now.
      Thank you!
      Stay safe xx N

      Delete