Wednesday, September 16, 2020

OOP McCall's 3871 Posh Frocks for Lidia

I finished it!
Lidia's posh frock (for all the details, click the link)
And it is so beautiful!
But all those shifty fabrics *shudder*
I am so glad we decided to underline with the skin tone rather that black.
It is a fun and fresh look and stops the dress looking too heavy.
I am also glad I made the sash in just the black. It would have been too bulky underlined and the black detail pops!
The dress looks see-through but it isn't see-through.
That said, I am going to make a slinky skin tone petticoat for Liddy to wear under it, if she wishes.
But look at this gorgeous girl!
Just look!
Personally, I think it is a smidch too short but it has a very deep hem.
As I said to Liddy 'Just make good (knicker) choices'!
Side by side, Lidia's dress and the inspiration 
I think ours is nicer.
~Lidia's Verdict~
This dress is one of many, I hope, to come. It is really pretty and makes me feel very happy when I’m wearing it.  My favourite feature is the puffy detailing in the sleeves. I love how it elevates the dress and makes it something really special. The fabric layering with the nude underneath is also something I really like. The fabric is light and floaty meaning that although I’m wearing a beautifully tailored dress it doesn’t feel constricting.  It is a little on the short side when I raise my arms so I am going to get some nude under shorts. I really really love it though and it is definitely one of my favourite pieces.
~My Verdict~
I love, love, love this dress!
It was such fun to make, sewing posh frocks is my thing.
It's such a shame we are in semi lockdown and really are not going out to wear fancy things.
Lidia really wants the same dress but in white hail-spot but she doesn't need it....
But I am so tempted....
Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 
Special thanks to my assistant Tildy. 






18 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries Margaret, she answers to Lillian, Olivia all sorts!
      She always says 'You can call me what you wish, just don't call me late for tea'!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. I love the leg o mutton sleeves! You have done well with this posh frock and Lidia looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I love sewing frocks.
      I look forward to her starting Uni but then I suppose she will want leggings and hoodies like the others student wear!
      xxNicole

      Delete
  3. Wow this is amazing you really have me thinking of Year 12 Grad dress for my daughter next year if we ever go back to normal here in Victoria. This is beautiful and I would love to see the white dot version!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this would make an amazing formal dress, let me know of you need a pattern!
      I am so tempted to make the white version, the different colour underlining is a 'Liddy' thing, she plays with fabric more that the others have.
      They are such fun!
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  4. What an awesome frock. More stunning stitching from you. Guessing you may need to knock out a few tshirts or leggings after this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! I am sewing a PE kit for Tildy now and then on to Lekala jeans for Lids.
      But my heart remains with the posh frocks...
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  5. Such a stunning and special dress. I so love the pattern illustration too. I remember loving these types of dresses when I was a similar age. You have such a good eye for matching fabrics to patterns. Your photos are amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen!
      I adore 70's style dresses and I am SO glad Liddy does too.
      I have way too many, I will never sew them all but they are sorted and sealed and hopefully wont be too hard for the kidults to sell oneway.
      Thank you for your lovely compliments. I love my camera, I am not so good with the iPhone though.... the girls tease me terribly when I use that.
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  6. Another stunning dress. She looks so grown up! Love the new and different backdrops too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fabulous - beautiful sewing, and Liddy looks great in it.

    Please make one more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fabulous - beautiful sewing, and Liddy looks great in it.

    Please make one more...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fabulous - beautiful sewing, and Liddy looks great in it.

    Please make one more...

    ReplyDelete