Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Snappy Shorts for Zara

Zara and Elsa have discovered vintage clothing.
Actually, they think they have it one step better. Vintage patterns mean they get the look without smelling like moth balls or old books.
We found this pattern on eBay.
Zara has a lot of trouble finding shorts that fit her. Her teeny tiny waist is at odds with her curvy derriere so having them made is the best options
Score one to Mummy!
I did have the linen/cotton Ikat earmarked for Tildy as I thought it would make a awesome Sunki but fabric is meant to be used.
Check out my fancy BLACK interfacing Baby!
 After fitting it was evident I would be taking in the waist of the shorts.
As Zara was so happy with them I decided to take them in but not trim the extra off.
The shorts have a self facing waist so I mimicked the facings exactly and neatened them before putting them together.
This way it should be an easy matter to adjust them when necessary.
The fly construction was time consuming. Lots of basting and unpicking and flipping and more basting.....
But completely worth it.
Some how I missed the fact I was meant to cut a fly AND a fly facing.
I had already packed away the scraps of Ikat so I fished through my Liberty pieces for a silky soft lining piece.
Also, there were NO directions to interface, none at all!
I figured this out by the time I got to the waistband facing but I wish I had interfaced the self facing on the shorts front fly.
Next time!
Yes, I made a note on the pattern.
They look a little ordinary on the hanger....
But they look great on!
With a nice fit.
Worn with MY belt.
Hmmmmm.

Next up
xx N



23 comments:

  1. they do fit really nice! cute pattern and I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I picked the fabric up, interstate, at a huge sale. I only payed a pittance for it and I am kicking myself I didn't buy more.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. These came out great, lucky girl! The fit looks perfect and I love the fly facing.

    Where on earth did you find black interfacing?? I have never seen it before now. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon.

      I know! Its great interfacing, isn't it? I wish I had it when I made my black linen Portfolio. The white throws a bit grey on a thin fabric.
      I found it in Spotlight.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. I think of all the perfectly tailored coats and such my grandmother made me growing up and marvel now that I know how much the "guts" of a vintage pattern are missing. These are adorable! She will look so fabulous in them! Oh to still have the legs to wear shorts this short...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you MC, I will admit to a little shorts envy.

    Some of the vintage patterns have convoluted instructions but they do turn out so beautifully.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are just the perfect shorts - perfect fit, perfect style and perfect fabric. Very lucky Zara!
    Can't wait to see the top

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Justine.
    The Teen market can be hard to impress. I am so happy to have succeeded.

    The top reminds me a little of the 2+2 blouse, a firm favourite in our house.

    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great Nicole and look fantastic with that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, these would be fab on you too!
      xx N

      Delete
  8. Great shorts, the fit is superb! I had a pair of velveteen knickerbockers just like the ones in the second pattern. (aargh!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A mini WAA?
      Thank you, funnily enough, they didn't go for the Knicker bockers.
      (One on my older sisters wore those for her going away outfit)
      xx N

      Delete
  9. Fabulous! Do the girls hunt out their own vintage patterns? They have a good eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do Katy, they trawl eBay together.
      Its a win/win, I get to sew for them still and usually the patterns are dirt cheap.
      xx N

      Delete
  10. They love their eBay Katy. Zara just picked up bundle with a jumpsuit included. She is in raptures!

    Thank you.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shorts fit perfectly! I love how they look in the Ikat fabric.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy!
      K always looks so great in her short-shorts, she inspired my girls.
      xx N

      Delete
  12. Yes, they surely do it better!
    These shorts look so stylish in the ikat print (and not a bit vintage)!
    I love vintage patterns (I'm fascinated by the drawings), but find sewing with them a bit daunting (instructions), but they are really worth the try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Ana Sofia. I love the vintage look of the patterns too.
    Some of the instructions can be a bit tricky but I find if I ask 'What would Liesl do' it helps.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, how fun that your girls are interested in vintage patterns! What great looking shorts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you!
    Yes, I am pretty happy and I am learning some great new sewing skills.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete