Wednesday, June 4, 2014

For my Love

My forgotten hero.
He definitely needed to be remembered 
The last few runs of the sewing 'rota, Jed has skipped his turn.
He has gained a little weight and didn't want anything new until he had shed the kilos.
Its hard for him, he is 50 now. Both knees are buggered from years of football.
His job, while labour intensive is far less so then 20 years ago. 
And I am a pretty good cook.
I cook hot meals everyday, it is cheaper to make from scratch. With five hungry children I always have food ready to go. I use full fat milk for cooking as it is cheaper, ditto coconut milk and cheese.
And Jed likes to have seconds.

He probably only needs to lose 10 kilo to look great.
But men suffer from body issues too so I decided he was having some nice new things in the transition. 
He really needed a new rugby.
The last one I made was a wee bit snug.
I picked up this great Canterbury/heavy weight rugby knit as a remnant from here 
It is 'proper' thick and warm!
The pattern is a vintage KwikSew 1242 it regularly pops up on eBay.
It has a one piece collar but a seriously snappy two piece tab front.
The instructions are fabulous!
I often look at RTW clothing for finishing details, I noticed a lot of rugby's use labelling tape.
I like the look!
To break up the yellow
(Cause Baby, this is yellow)
stencilled the sleeve.
Another knock off from RTW.
He looks so nice in this.

When its your turn you get two things made!
Jed requested a new shirt with a bit of tummy ease.
I went with another vintage Kwik Sew, 1202, this time.
He chose his fabric, the pink colour way of this.
Good to go, but then I checked my pattern properly.
It called for a stretch fabric.
Bugger.
I decided to size up to an XL (his chest put him in a L) and I knew I had this super stretchy cotton poplin I picked up in a BullRush sale. I thought it might work and that is was pretty similar.

So I went for it.
After I had completed the collar I was a bit worried it was a bit, well, girly!
So I put out a SOS and my awesome sewing Gal Pals waded in.
I think the touch of navy was just what it needed.
It just broke up the candyness of the soft colours.
The pockets and tab are a stunning detail.
The pockets are made of four pieces and have this nifty peek-a-boo gusset.
It has a one piece back but I think I may make it with a back yoke and centre back pleat next time.
The collar is also one piece, which is a quicker option, but I will make that as a two piece.
It just a bit dressier on a mans shirt.
I am not so keen on the cuffs, they are a funny fold-back-on-themselves- and button jobby.
But Jed reckons he will just roll them up.
I will definitely alter those to a two piece placket.

Overall, a win/win situation.
Jed has some new things, the fabric was not dear/or from stash so if they end up too big, he can wear them as farm clothes.

Sorted!

xx N

23 comments:

  1. Love that rugby jumper and thanks for the link to the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, if you have trouble tracking it down I have a spare copy.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. The tape around the rugby collar is just perfection! Great sewing, very professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelley.
      You blog doesn't like me but I have been reading and that blouse tute you put together was excellent.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. You are the best home sew-er in the world. You have a creative flare for details and all your work is perfection.
    Outstanding rugby top and shirt, Nicole. Jed will look smashing in his new duds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Deb, goodness, I am blushing. You are so kind to me.
      I hope to get a few photos of my men today.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. I love the bright and unexpected colors. Perhaps he could convince my husband to finally try a button down shirt in Liberty floral lawn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a hot pink Liberty Capel shirt planned for Jed, Christine. I just want to find the perfect pattern before cutting into it.
      I love a man in Liberty!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. You are putting me to shame, I have only ever sewn pj shorts for Jay. You are a great wife! That fabric for the rugby top is a steal at that price! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think implementing the rota was the best thing I could have done!
      I have yet to tackle trousers again. I made him a pair when we were dating and they were horrid. I was shattered until my brother tried them on and they looked great on him!
      I realised then it was a fitting issue. I must try again though....

      xx N

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh I love these! Both! They look so great! What a lucky hubby :D I'm now on the hunt for that kwik sew pattern here in the states ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep a look out for you Kristin, it pops up all the time. I can post a pattern quite cheaply to the states.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
    2. I have a spare copy, would you like it?
      FM me!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. Lucky man!!! I have been meaning to sew for Steve for ... you know, years. It never seems to happen! He'd love a good polo shirt or button down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, Jed loves it when I sew for him.
      Thank you Inder.
      xx N

      Delete
  8. I love that pink shirt, the fabric is just gorgeous. What a lucky, lucky fella.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Peta, and I think I am pretty lucky to have this fella.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  10. All great pieces! Jed is lucky to have you for a wife.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Cindy.
    Sewing for men/boys is a whole 'nother ballgame!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really is a lucky man. Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for this! Inspired by your rugby shirt i made one for my guy :)

    http://www.loveauntmaggie.com/behindtheseams/mens-rugby-shirt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome Maggie, off for a look!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete