But you feel like a Rockstar when it works.
Elsa and Zara (like most of us) don't conform to a body shape standard. They have a small bust, tiny waist but quite a full bottom.
Buying a one piece swimsuit is a nightmare.
Elsa asked for bathers as part of her #sewingrota.
It is made in scuba (neoprene) lined, with a front zip.
I wanted a pattern that would hold my hand, swimsuit sewing is scary!
Elsa did some Googling and found this pattern.
I put out a ISO with my Insta-Gals and we did find a copy but it was a bit pricey.
(If anyone has it in their stash I would still love it)
While she was sleuthing, Elsa found another one.
She like the line and I said I was happy to make a block version and then experiment with piecing once I had mastered it.
I traced to her measurements, the pattern layout made it easy to blend the sizes.
It looked amazing but was too tight through the body.
As scuba only has one way stretch I added some length to the body, it turns out Elsa must be long bodied because when I cut the same size from swimsuit fabric (anticipating that I would need to shorten it), it was perfect
The fabric was left over from Elsa's rash vest which is still being worn so I knew it was good quality.
I didn't have a long enough zipper so I warned Elsa she would have to shimmy it on.
I did add a lining on the advice of my swimsuit sewing guru Cindy.
I think I did a pretty good job.
Good bottom coverage and Elsa said it doesn't ride up when she dives and races.
I was super pleased when none of her chums recognised it as home made.
It fits well, Mum did a good job. I really like how she put the dark stripe at my waist.
It is really comfortable and doesn't go up (my bottom) when I dive and race.
Due to not concentrating when cutting stripes, Elsa ended up with a second suit.
I ran the stripes vertically around the neck, just for fun.
I think I quite like sewing swimmers.
Thank you, as always, for reading.
ETA a few sources Patterns and notions fabric and elastic