Sunday, May 3, 2020

KwikSew 2237 All-ini-one Swimsuit for Beatrix

When we made the decision not to send out children to the city to finish their schooling we decided to use some of the money we had put away to put in a swimming pool.
It is extra work for all of us but absolutely worth it.
It has greatly added to the quality of our life.
However, lots of extra swimming has meant a lot of exposure to the sun.
We have very strict rules of rash vests MUST be worn during the day.
So this KwikSew pattern is amazing.
Tilly started it with this suit and Trixie badly wanted to be 'matching'.
So we did!
I made Trixie the Size 5 as per her chest measurement but we could have done with some length, in the body and the leg.
Not that she has complained.
The sparkly fish scale fabric is from Spotlight and is not actually swimsuit fabric, it's dance but it has held up to chlorine really well.
The knees have rubbed of slightly but our pool has quite a rough concrete edging and I think that may have contributed to it.
I like to make my girls a new PE Kit for our Victorian Holiday
This year, sadly cancelled.
So I made Trixie a lilac suit.
Psst, if anyone asks, its purple, right?
Trixie L O V E S this one!
(And look how much she has grown)!
This is  proper swimmers fabric which I purchased in a bulk lot with a mountain of thread (from eBay) a few years back.
Any one is Australia need wooly nylon, I am your girl, my cover stitch doesn't like it.
I did add extra length to the body and legs but my baby girl has grown!
Trixie is very taken with her 'rainbow' writing which is holding up to the chlorine really well.


~Trixie's Verdict~
I love it!
I always wear it when I have a swim.
I love it too much, I want to wear it to bed.
I like both of them but I really like the mermaid one.
The mermaid is most special in the whole wide world.
I am sad we are not swimming or going to the blow up place (Inflatable World-Ballarat) (Vic Holidays)
I got a wedge-y in the mermaid ones (I knew I needed to add more length)
I like having my picture taken, I like it a lot, I feel fancy 
(Trixie then starts singing Fancy, to the tune of 'Shiny' from 'Moana)
~My Verdict~
This pattern is an absolute ripper!
I was a pleased as punch to track it down (second hand on eBay) in the larger size.
Matilda is covered with moles and I have hammered into her that she will ALWAYS need to be covered up in the sun.
The is an easy sew,  lots of pieces but very easy.
I actually sew it on my sewing machine, with a ball point needle, using the stretch knit stitch. I find this a sturdier stitch than my overlocker. 
PS How cute is that tummy?


Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 



12 comments:

  1. Trixie looks fabulous as a mermaid and I like the purple suit too. Great sun protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I used to be very intimidated by knits but I am finding my feet now.
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. I use the woolly nylon in the underloopers of my commercial overlocker. It works perfectly in fact I rarely use anything else. Great suits by the way!

    Andrea
    fabricepiphanies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I will message you, you can possibly use some if this then?
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  3. They're so great - the fish scales are awesome :D Clem had an all-in-one rashie like that when he was little. So good to know they're covered up. Hey I like to use woolly nylon in the bobbin with a twin needle for hemming knits (after disposing of my despised domestic coverstitch, haha!). I only have white. If you have any or all of black, grey & navy I'd love to buy some from you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jane, it is a ripper of a suit!

      I will pack you up a 'selection' and get someone to drop them into the shop.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. My coverstitch is not fond of woolly nylon either. I use the Maxilock Stretch thread instead. It's like a blend of the super stretchy woolly nylon and standard overlocker thread. https://www.wawak.com/Thread/Thread-By-Brand/Maxi-Lock/maxi-lock-stretch-thread-tex-30-2000-yds/?sku=SPT1032326

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I was surprised when the dealer said not to use the wooly nylon but he seems to be right.
      I will check out that link.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Great swimming costumes and so good to cover up their precious skin from top to toe. I think I might have that pattern somewhere so it's good to know it works well.
    The mermaid fabric is super lux so no wonder the girls love it so much 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I think all in one suits are the best!
      They look gorgeous, shiny girls in the pool
      xx N

      Delete
  6. The woolly nylon thread may work better on your machine if you spray with silicone, the food grade stuff not the smelly industrial stuff, a trick I picked up working in clothing, asking a million questions.
    Why are you soaking the thread in oil, not oil silicone, because it passes through the machine easier. Didn't mean much at the time but now I use it all the time.
    Beautiful swimwear and gorgeous models. You make the children some amazing garments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so interesting, thank you!

    Did you work as a machinist or in sales?

    Thank you for your lovely compliments.
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete