Elsa's last outfit choice was this.
Next she requested a soft blazer to wear with it.
She found a Simplicity pattern she quite liked but was keen to have it lined.
I used the same method I employed with Zara's Secret Agent trench by oliver+s.
It gives a good serviceable finish.
This coat has been flogged and has stood up to many many machine washes.
In a nut shell,I make two blazers. One of the main and one of the lining.
I used a piece of Tula Pink quilting cotton for the back lining as I did not have quite enough of the satin and because it looked pretty.
I hemmed the sleeves using this method (just scroll down) taking care to pin the under arm and centre back seams in place.
Then I pinned and basted the outside edges with the wrong sides together.
After that I treat the blazer as one piece.
I followed the instructions for the facing and pinned and sewed it to the blazer as directed.
I used a very light interfacing as the satin underlining would give some weight.
Next I folded up the back hem to match the front and basted in place.
After the facing is sewn trimmed pressed and turned it matches perfectly!
The facing still fits nicely over the outer and under lining.
Although I machined sewed the cuffs,back hem and neck facing with this blazer I decided to hand sew the front facing to the lining.
I didn't with the Trench but the fabric was so nubbly the machine stitching didn't show up.
It was quite easy to catch the facing to just the lining.
Two episodes of Dr Who and a nice foot rub made it a very pleasant experience.
So,there we are.
A nice lined blazer.
Without the fuss and bother of piecing the facing to a lining.
And the underling gives the collar a lovely 'roll'.
I can't wait to show you modelled shots but at 40d (104f) not today.