Do you remember these?
Elsa looooooved them so much.
I thought I could do better.
This pattern got pulled out again.
For the shorts this time.
Elsa didn't want a blue lining behind the lace. She wanted black.
Some time and some gentle conversation and I had steered her towards a remnant of nude de-lustered satin.
I had just enough!
I decided to use my 2-as-1 method and basted the satin to the lace.
I had to do each edge, one at a time, and press in between.
The lace was quite heavy and stretched if not handled carefully.
After basting, I sewed the darts in place, treating the lace and satin as one.
As I wasn't too keen on Elsa wearing satin next to her skin I decided to line them with a jersey lining fabric.
I picked up a 20 metre roll for next to nicks and it was perfect for this.
There was just enough satin left for the facings.
I hemmed the shorts, tucking the lining inside, by machine. I also sewed the facing in place.
I wouldn't usually sew the facing down but the lace hid the stitching and I felt it would make them an sturdier piece of clothing.
I was able to stitch the lining in place along the edge of the zipper as well. The stitching is not visible on the exposed zipper.
Rather then the dark ribbon sash, Elsa chose a pretty caramel velvet ribbon.
I attached it at the centre back and then basted it at even increments.
Elsa also rejected the matching exposed zipper of the inspiration shorts for a deep caramel coloured one.
I think she has a good eye!
And there we have it.
One pair of fabulous shorts.
for my fabulous girl!
PS Modelled piccies soon-promise!