Sunday, October 29, 2017

Monsieur Shirt and KwikSew 2123 Jeans - Sewing for Hugo

I am still steadily sewing for Hugo but it is quite hard to get photos of said sewing.

He is not home as much and when he is, is playing sport or working.
And the hair needs to be a certain way before photos are allowed.
Earlier in the year I made him another Mister/Monsieur shirt from a green Wiltshire Liberty.
Which since has been known as his 'camo' shirt.
This is my go-to for him, I make him the medium and can sew it in five hours, no fittings required.

Another repeat sew is KwikSew 2123 mens jeans.
I altered this pattern a few years back lowering the waist band.
I just made them in a stretch to give some ease, I would need to size up in a rigid denim.
I used the last of my black, coated denim I purchased.
From 5 m I was able to make Vado jeans for me (which I no longer fit in so I altered them to fit Zara), a Burda skirt (to be blogged) and another pair of Vado jeans for me.
#ninjacutting for the win.
Nice and stretchy with heavy black jeans top stitching.
~Hugo's Verdict~
Camo Shirt
As most of you may know I have a particular soft spot for floral shirts. When shown the dark green khaki combination floral I immediately knew I wanted a shirt out of it. Most of my shirts are bright florals so this darker gum tree like floral  is a nice change up. The shirt pattern is the same as my past (Marie?) which although nice and fitted to my body gives me plenty of movement. 

Dark Jeans

My light blue denim jeans that I have had for over 4 years have seen better days. I have actually worn the backside out of them sitting down so much at university. With the blue jeans subbed out as summer emergencies I needed a new pair. Mum kindly made me a new pair of fitted jeans out of black coated denim. These jeans are really comfortable the dark colour of them really makes my floral shirts stand out.

I am a very lucky man
~My Verdict~
I am tired and a 'bear of very little brain' at present. Go-to patterns are a life saver, which both of these are!
I have my own shirt sewing order in which I iron, interface and sew all the pieces that need it, rather then a traditional method as I have made it so many times.
Not needing to fit the jeans is also very handy not to mention I can ninja cut with another garment, making the most of my fabric.

Thank you for reading xx N
SaveSaveSaveSave

16 comments:

  1. No wonder Hugo likes what you make, your finishes are so professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, what a lovely thing to say.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Hugo looks very smart in his new duds. You are so good at ninja cutting! I was thinking about you as I cut a couple pairs of leggings out of a new piece of knit yardage last week. I mused that, while I was hoping to get three garments out of my 3 yards, Nicole would have managed five 😂 I need to think ahead more when I cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He he, I do like a challenge Masha.
      It helps that I keep my goto scrap busting patterns in an Ikea Trolley, ready to go. The Hudson's, The After School pants a few like that use long strips well. You really need to cut at the same time to 'make it work'
      That said, it has right royally bit me on the bum when I have used up the fabric and then needed it...
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. You seem to have a real knack for sewing to fit each of your kids'
    personalities as well as their preferences. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle. I guess it comes down to personal taste. If they don't like it, they wont wear it but it is hard when they want something made you don't really fancy.
      I just try and take an lot of pride in the project... that reminds me polar fleece jackets need to sewn for Elsa (vomit)
      xx N

      Delete
  4. Another snappy outfit! I love Hugo's style - it's interesting and unique, not what you see on other people, but always just *right* somehow. He has a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly has his own look Inder.
      He said he has had a few lecturers remember him by his shirts.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. You have made him some great pieces ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ninja cutting always makes me so happy! love these two pieces. You are so great at sewing up jeans and button down tops.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!
    I ove me some ninja cutting, it makes me feel a lot better about expensive fabric choices....
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  8. The level of fit and finishing on these is superb. Nothing homemade at all about the way this man looks. I have stashes of polar fleece for pullovers too and feel the same way. If only we could sew the shit stuff together over a few glasses of wine and a lot of talk...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      I loathe polar fleece and it appears it buggered up my industrial overlocker so I am even less fond of it now (Jed fixed it but that is beside the point)
      Once I have done this lot I am done with it, life is too short to sew shitty fabric.
      PS But the wine and talk session sound pretty awesome ...

      Delete