Sunday, April 7, 2019

Style Arc Juliet shirt for Me

I was pretty despondent after my last sew
So I thought I would get back on the Style Arc pony.
I made a Style Arc Juliet 
I purchased (or received it as a freebie) a couple or years ago when I was about 10kg lighter so I wasn't %100 sure it would fit  (this is a size 10, my bust puts me in a size 12) but I wanted it a tighter fit and I figured one of the girls would wear it if it was too small.
I used a remnant of stretch, cotton poplin I picked up at Eliza Fabrics
The fabric is very stretchy so the fit is comfortable.
Very, very comfortable, like a tee shirt comfortable.
But this size, in a rigid woven, would be too tight.
*ETA I noticed on my worksheet that I sewed a larger side seam, 5/8ths compared to 3/8ths. That is some ease that I could have had.* 
I love it!
The right front tie is sewn in a twisty, origami type move and then you sew the front placket to the edge.
Even after careful pressing I had a wee gap where the edge of the tie was stitched.
And after sewing the placket in place I had to trim the front hem to match the left.
Pretty good considering you sew a piece that looks like a fidget spinner into a tie.
I love that it gives me the hint of a waist line at the front, which I do not have, and hides my mum-tum.
But by doing up the ties, I get the waist shape at the back.
~My Verdict~
I love it!
I would be keen to buy the size 12 and try that (size) in a rigid woven, or perhaps a FBA in this size as it is a little firmer in the bust than is perfect.
I love all the details, the 3/4 sleeve with the separate cuff (I always roll my sleeves anyway) the natty little stepped hem, the separate front placket and that gorgeous tie!
The right tie is part of the front, the left tie is a separate piece sewn at the side seam.
You do need to concentrate when cutting, the right front needs to be cut from the whole width of the cloth.
Pay attention to the seam allowances on each piece as they do vary.
The instructions were okay. I did get a little confused sewing the right tie but it is a confusing step.
But, goodness it is clever!
Thank you for reading... xx N

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore this on you! The fit is perfect and it is such a flattering style! I think with a full bust adjustment, you could do it in a rigid fabric now, as that would add some ease to the front of the shirt where you need it without changing the back, and the extra fabric in the front waist would be cinched in by the tie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A FBA on this does scare me a wee bit, but I think you are right. The shoulders and back fit nicely, the next size up may have the shoulder issue that I get.
      You give good advice Inder.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. it looks wonderful on you. I love that color too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha, I love this colour too and the nude pink is a better colour than white, for me, anyway.
      xx N

      Delete