Monday, April 1, 2019

Style Arc Roxy for Me That Wasn't OR (Check your printing square people)

We all have sewing fails.
I had a printing fail.
I made myself a Style Arc Roxy
from the Style Arc website
Now I printed it like I always do, setting the scale to %100.
I didn't check the print square, to be honest I have checked since and couldn't  find the print square but...
from the Style Arc website
I didn't check and my pattern printed too large.
So I am owning this mistake.
And the other pattern I purchased and printed.
Le sigh.
That said, I am seriously impressed that it still sewed up beautifully 
Perfect collar and stand.
Neat placket and cuff.
Sleeve tabs.
Oversize pockets (mine were really oversized, snort)
Cute little pack flap.
I added side vents, because I like them.
I finished these with a narrow double hem.
Now I was seriously confused trying to sew the sleeve plackets so I took a few pictures to help me, next time.
This is the method I went with, I am not sure it is the Style Arc method.
First, I altered the pattern to remove the excess that would've been bulky once the placket is finished.
Press in the seam allowance on the edges including snipping into the seam and folding back the seam at the top of the upper placket.
Lay these on the transferred cutting line on the sleeve, right sides to right sides.
Sew up to the top of the smaller placket on both plackets.
You will stitch over the folded top of the smaller placket.
Press the stitching taking care not to flatten your fold lines.
Carefully snip up to the top of the smaller placket.
Press the seams towards the placket.
Using the pre-pressed fold lines, wrap the placket around so the seam is inclosed. Press again.
Pin and topstitch taking care that you catch the edge of the placket as you stitch.
Press the other placket.
Again, using the pre-pressed fold lines, wrap the large placket around the raw edge.
Topstitch the placket catching the underneath placket up to the length of the smaller placket.
I mark it with a pin.
Lay the larger placket over the smaller placket and press well.
Top stitch the loose placket in place.
One finished placket.
~My Verdict~
I love this shirt so much and I am pretty sad it doesn't fit.
I will be ordering it again, and will probably order a paper version so I don't have to deal with printing it.
The instructions are a bit brief but I have sewed a lot of shirts so I am okay with that.
The cut is gorgeous.
The shirt has gone off to a new home, I hope it fits and is enjoyed.
Thank you for reading...xx N

PS Style Arc have a 'freebie' pattern each month and this month it was a skirt I was after. So I purchased a new Roxy, paper pattern this time and got the Indigo maxi skirt free!

4 comments:

  1. Ughhhhhhhh. The worst. All that amazing effort and it's the wrong size. *bangs head against wall* But I would love to see how this looks in the correct size and that skirt pattern is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so, so happy that this was my 'second best' fabric. If I has used my striped cotton I would be howling!
      I love the shirt, Style Arc shirts fit my shape well, so I am happy to but it again.
      I think the skirt is cute and with an elastic back, the size will fit the Twins too, bonus!
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete
  2. I found the same thing and I’m a lot taller (and bigger) than you are. The style is great. Maybe a smaller size perhaps? It was the back detail that caught my eye. I do hope you get more success next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have purchased the paper pattern and I am ready TO go!
    Thank you!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete