Sunday, April 28, 2019

OOP Simplicity 7378 Vintage Dungarees for Beatrix

Next on the Holiday sewing  list, some dungarees for Trixie.
I have always been a fan of dungarees.
They stop babies coming apart in the middle.
I have made many pairs and love them all.
This sew is particularly sentimental as this pattern came from my late mother's pattern collection.
She possibly sewed it for me!
In another bitter-sweet coincidence, the pink wide-wale cord was from her stash too and I know she made me a skirt from it.
My mother really 'got' Trixie. She let her warm up and come to her for a cuddle, when she was ready.
She ignored her tantrums (as the best Nan's do) and always had a beetle in a matchbox or spare chocolate biscuit in the tin by her chair, just for her.
The pattern is size 3 but had plenty of leg length and body length (which surprised me, I usually have to add both) so I will keep this one in circulation and possibly sew it again for her.
I did add a few inches to the straps but I actually didn't need to. They are already very long.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
Trixie has shot up but thinned down so the 3 is a good fit.
#tillytinyphotographer
The enamelled shell buttons are large and smooth and she can manage them herself when she goes to the lavvy.
I used glossy black ones, stitched with mustard yellow thread.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
She is a shocker to keep a jumper on so I like the extra warmth the covered middle gives her.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
I have got a bit caught out, clothing wise, for Trixie.
She has beautiful frocks coming out the wazoo as we are given  many gorgeous, hand-made things(we are so lucky) but by the time Tilly was Trixie's size she was in Year 2 at school (#tinytillyphotographer indeed) so her bottoms are worn out!
I do let her wear the dresses, I believe clothes are meant to be worn and I think far more things are ruined in the laundry than being worn and I am a careful laundress.
However, Trixie plays hard and trousers are just more practical.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
It is a treat to sew something so quick and easy that you know is going to get a lot of wear.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
~My Verdict~
A very nice vintage pattern.
The instructions take you through flat felling all the seams (I didn't bother) so you can get a perfect finish, if you wish.
There is no way the dungarees would go over a cloth nappy but are just fine over knickers and I think a disposable would be fine.
I was working with scraps of fabric and the nice, slim leg panels facilitated that well.
~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the buttons, they are nice and black and I can undo them myself.
They are pink, I like pink.
I like the yellow shoes too.
photo by #tillytinyphotograper 
Thank you for reading... xx N

Trixie is wearing School Bus and Field Trip t-shirts by Oliver+S, her vest was knitted for her by Sarvi Chan. 

10 comments:

  1. The face in the first photo of Trixie! Love it - and adore the overalls. Such a nice story about the connections with your mum, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Tilly took most of the photos but I do lobe Trixie's little face.
      I love using Mum's gear up, the wheel keeps turning.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. I hope that when I pass on, Maggie will use my old patterns and fabric! (Although, note to self, it would be positively cruel to leave a stash the size of my current one for anyone else to sort out, time for some Swedish Death Cleaning I reckon!) I love these overalls, I love Trixie's verdict (and her adorable expressions!), and I love her yellow shoes too. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and sort mine as it comes in, so it is not too horrendous for my chaps.
      I say the grandchildren can sell the patterns on Ebay and pay their Uni fees. ;)
      The shoes came from Sarvi and they are 'Liv and Luca' I think.. very cute.
      I am enjoying myself SO much.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. gorgeous overalls and stories ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      It is nice to be able to talk about Mum and feel happy rather than the sad/guilty feelings
      xx N

      Delete
  4. So sweet! I understand about the bittersweet-ness of using your mother's patterns and fabric. Yesterday was five years since we lost mine and I still have trouble looking at photos or reading her old e-mails to me. Hugs Nicole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha.
      It took me a while to sort her sewing things, a lot of memories there.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Put her in pink and she’s a happy lamb! Dungarees for days I say. They are the number one item every little farmgirl needs - in pink of course. Beautiful little memories of your mum with Trixie. It’s these that we treasure and hang onto that keep us going and to learn from. Sending you hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, I do miss her but it is nice to use her things with a smile rather than tears.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete