Wednesday, April 24, 2019

OOP McCalls 2581 Winter coat for Beatrix

So, Pinterest, my dirty little time waster...
So many beautiful images.
Case in point.
Image from Pinterest.
I LOVE this look.
The colour, the styling, love it!
I had to make it for Trixie.
I purchased this pattern in a mixed bundle from eBay.
What caught my eye is the raglan sleeve. I love that detail and it also makes cutting economical, which is good, because....
~Back story~
I purchased this heavy wool coating from Eliza Fabric, last year. 
I was looking for this colour and so excited to find it.
There was 2 m left on the roll so I took the lot ($12/m)
(I figured a coat for Trixie and a vest for Hugo) #ninjacutting
As per usual I pre-washed my fabric before putting it away.
I pre-wash, with Softly, in the machine on a wool cycle.
I have never had an issue.
Until this fabric, it shrunk, a lot.
I could have cried. My 2 m ended up not quite 1.5 m. 
It was also super thick, like felted thick but not distorted in anyway.
So I figured I would give it a go.
Cutting was a nightmare, it was so thick that my tissue paper pattern was tearing as I tried to cut!
Sewing was a little tricky.
I made my stitch length smaller (2.5) as it was gaping a  little.
I also hand tacked the inside seams in place to avoid bulk under the arm.
Sewing the facing the coat, catching the collar, was I N S A N E
I used clover clips and turned the wheel to move the needle.
I didn't put my foot on the pedal once.
I broke clover clips on this bad boy!
But totally worth it.
So, so cute!
The cape is fully removable and attaches at the shoulders with sew in poppers.
These are hidden under the collar when not in use.
Trixie badly wanted pink buttons and this lovely, lush, quality bobble fringe remnant from Spotlight.
As she agreed to the green-brown wool for a coat I was happy to oblige.
I lined it with stretch satin.
The last of the copper coloured stretch satin I purchased at Eliza Fabrics #ninjacutting.
We chose a pink, double sided satin ribbon to fasten it.
There is something a little bit special about this sew.
It looks just as lovely without the cape.
The enamelled shell buttons are a pretty touch.
I edge-stitched to try and tame the thick fabric.
The pockets are lined with the same lining and I cut it slightly smaller so it pulled the edges of the pocket under, neatly.
I love this copper coloured satin, I am sad to see it all used up.
It is a wee bit big.
Nothing a quick fold of the sleeves won't fix.
It is so warm and snuggly.
And just so cute!
But plenty of movement for play.
~Trixie's Verdict~
It's pretty, really pretty. I like the poms poms.
It's so soft.
It will keep the snow off (we don't get snow, NMK) ;)
~My Verdict~
I was so disappointed when I spoilt this fabric but I am very pleased with the result.
The cloth is so thick, almost too thick.
I trimmed the facing back to remove some bulk.
(The pattern called for you to just neatly fold the excess under the facing, not trim, but it was so fat and unsightly. I pressed it well, while folded in and then unfolded it and trimmed it back, 1 cm above the fold lines. This fabric was not going to fray)
The pattern also directs you to sew the collar and facings to the coat and then the lining to the edge of he facing.
This is a lot easier to do, especially working with such a thick cloth.
I followed the instructions, hand sewing the lining to the main rather than bagging it. It took a little longer but the thought of manipulating the thick cloth scared me a little so I was happy to do as directed. 
The size 4 is nice and roomy, hopefully Trixie will get two years wear from it.
Thank you for reading... xx N

6 comments:

  1. I bet she remembers this coat fondly when she is an adult. Love the style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenny, what a lovely thing to say, that made me feel quite emotional but you are right!
      I remember a white, broderie blouse my mother made me. It had small holes and I felt quite grown up and race-y in it ;)
      xx N

      Delete
  2. Gosh that did thicken up! It is a lovely coat and she wears it well!
    I love the illustrations on vintage patterns, they are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really too thick to sew but I love the colour so much.
      I agree, vintage diagrams are gorgeous.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. Love that facial expression! Get that a lot at home too. Brown and pink go together beautifully and the style is super cute. Trixie’s verdict had me in stitches. They’re hilarious at this age. Mine just gets excited when it rains! Imagine if it really did snow!😜😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is such a dag!
      We are heading to Vic for our Winter holiday soon and trying to work out if we can do a day trip, just to see some snow.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete