Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Oliver+S School Bus T-shirts

Everyone needs basics.
The Oliver+S School Bus t-shirt is a great example.
The above tees are made from wool jersey from Eliza Fabrics
They were all around the $3/m but there was the odd flaw in the fabric.
The pink, heavier ribbed jersey was a bit too stretchy. The Deer+Doe Plantain t-shirts I made Elsa and I are way too big in the neck to wear.
The School Bus t-shirts with the smaller neck are perfect.
If I purchased the ribbed stuff again I would keep it for leggings.
The aubergine wool jersey was perfect!
It is the same cloth I used for Hugo's Strathcona Henley
I added vinyl elbow patches.
I used the neck binding method so there are no raw edges. I top stitch with the wave stitch on my machine. It is super stretchy and I find gives me the best result on any seam that will get a lot of pressure like children's hems and swimwear.
Last year, when we went to Melbourne, we visited the Zara store and Tilly fell in love with a sequinned t-shirt.
I was going to get it for her but it was a really crappy t-shirt.
When we got home we checked out eBay and found this owl 
I machine stitched it in place, using a narrow zigzag, matching the thread colours, before I sewed the side seams.
I bound the back neck with my labelling tape.
Makes for a stable neck and looks cool.
The pattern is also my go-to for pyjamas.
(Paired with the Playtime leggings with a cuff)
This time I used a basic ribbing neck and cuff with a cute Van Ikke transfer on the front.
(Fabric is an organic cotton from the remnant bin at Spotlight)
Another School Bus t-shirt, another Van Ikke transfer.
The grey knit is from the $1/m bin at Eliza Fabrics. It is thick and soft, just the job for a pj top. It was quite narrow but I was able to get two tees, a size 8 for Tildy and a size 12 for Lidia (with extra sleeve length) from 2m.
This time paired with the Sleepover pyjama bottoms
Fabric is cheapo flannelette from Eliza Fabrics. $3/m and has washed up surprisingly fluffy and thick.
I do my cuff as a whole, rather than two pieces and attach it from behind and top stitch it in place so that there are no raw edges.
I attach me piping to the cuff before sewing it into a loop.

~Tildy's Verdict~
I like wool t-shirts because they are warm and I can wear them again. (More than one wear NMK)
I like the patterned pjs because the pattern is cool and funky.
I like the other ones because the bottoms are fluffy on the inside and the animal print matches the picture of the animals on the top.
~My Verdict~
I was rather honoured when Liesl Gibson asked me (among many, many others I am sure) what I thought about her producing a t-shirt pattern.
I actually tried to discourage her. I felt there were a gazillion t-shirt patterns already, many free, would people be willing to pay for O+S prices for a knit top?
I was wrong, she was right and I am so glad.
It is extremely well drafted and sews up beautifully.
I have an Ikea trolley (my cutting trolley) that rolls around my sewing room. The top shelf has scissors, rulers, pins, chalk andall the notions I need and the bottom shelf has ribbing in neutral colours but the middle shelf has my 'go-to' patterns that never get put away.
This pattern, in both sizes, lives there.

Thank you for reading xx N

7 comments:

  1. Great nighties! i love the fluffy pajama bottoms. I have this pattern but have not used it yet. I have never made a t-shirt: too afraid of knit fabrics after some disasters sewing for myself in the late 70's! Might try again, though, if/when I have grand babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I didn't like sewing knits at all but my children kept requesting them. Then I realised, I could sew them with a much care as I take with a woven. So, I use pins, I press, I baste if I feel the need, my knits looks so much better and I enjoy the process so much more than when I felt like I had to 'whip them up'.
      There are some gorgeous fabrics available now too.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. t-shirts are so quick and rewarding to make. I have purchased the oliver + s raglan tee but haven't made one yet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Field Trip is such a nice fit, Liddy likes that one best.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. It took me a while to come to love sewing knits too. Now I have the right equipment it has helped a lot. Plus, the newer merino jerseys are so nice to sew and wear.

    Your t-shirts are awesome. My family are too big for the Oliver & S patterns. I use the Grainline Lark or Thread Theory Strathcona for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The merino jerseys are gorgeous, aren't they?
      Oliver+S do an adult pattern too but I have only made the mens one, the women's looked a little boxy to me.
      I will definitely check out the Lark, The Deer +Does Plantain has been my go to but I found the latest one I sewed not a flattering on me, it sort of clung to my tummy.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete