Monday, September 2, 2013

Elmer the Elephant meets Oliver

Oliver+S that is!


Tildy does not need a new coat.
I did not need to buy fabric.

But as Forrest Gump said
It happens

I saw this material when I was in Town last week. It is a print by an Australian designer. The collection goes by the name Prints Charming .
Tilda loved it, I loved it, Jed thought it was very groovy.
It reminded us of Elmer the Elephant but a funky mod version.

So I purchased 1.5 metres and crossed my fingers that I would get a Secret Agent Trench from that.

And I did.
Just!

I have an entire Pinterest board on this pattern 'cause I lurve it.
In the past I made the Twins this one.

Which I lined.
And it has been f l o g g e d!
(Worn a great many times)
As well as this one for Hugo which the girls and I frequently steal.
Zara would like another in this style so I could justify Matilda's as a practice run.....
Works for me!
Tilly is small, her chest measurements put her in the 18-24 month size so I went with the 2T.
Her height put her in a 4 but I wanted extra length so I added an extra 2 1/2 inches to that.
Which meant I also had to add it to the front facing.
At first I lengthened the bodice to a size four by adding the extra length to the bottom of the bodice but I realised this would keep it a drop waisted style.
So I folded the extra up and cut the bodice to a straight size 2T.
Then I added all the extra length I need to make the size 4 to the skirt. I added this to the top of the skirt.
And then I added a bit, for luck.
I only have a hour or so a day to sew at the moment but I would love to have this finished by Friday....

Wish me luck?

xx N

12 comments:

  1. I am so excited to see how this turns out.
    Just seeing your cut out pattern laid out, you are so professional!
    I just bought the paper pattern of the Secret Agent when they recently had a sale. Can't wait to try it.
    Thank you for sharing your trench coat Pinterest board link ~ so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel.
      I am nearly done and super pleased with it. About half way through I was not not sure and was worried it would look like an art smock but once the collar went on it worked itself out.

      You saying that I look professional is an amazing compliment. Your sewing is impeccable.

      xx N

      Delete
  2. Cannot wait to see this. The pattern is in my challenge to myself, I have a feeling after seeing yours I'm going to be forced to crack on to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so Peta.
      Imagine it in the Marimeko that Colette got for you. Amazing as a Spring coat/dress.

      xx N

      Delete
  3. Oh wow that is going to look simply amazing! If anyone can do it, it's you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Jane.
      It was one of those 'Why not'? moments.
      I found it in Spotlight Rundle Mall, its a really nice quality too. Not your usual smelly ink printed drill.

      xx N

      Delete
  4. Very curious to see this one as I bought a similar patchy fabric thinking of the same pattern. It's actually fabric that made me think of you when I bought it. Enjoy your little windows of sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I TOTALLY thought of you when i decided to make it.
      I try to be so disciplined with my sewing. I tend to think of it as a job rather then a hobby. But I am just so busy at the moment I need my sewing time to be hobby time.

      Thank you Shelley, it has been one of the most enjoyable things I have ever sewn.

      xx N

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to see the finished jacket...I know it will be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous fabric! This is going to be smashing! Love the "it happens" line. Oh, yes. Yes, sometimes it does.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Inder, sometimes you just want to stop being practical and do something fun, don't you?
    xx N

    ReplyDelete