It started with a note.
Carefully placed on some grippy rubber and laid in the middle of my cutting table.
So when my Big Girl makes a special request
I really want to deliver.
Slight problem, 3 days to deadline and I am fighting off the mother of all colds.
And then I managed to muddle the yellow with the green and cut out all the 'later' stuff first.
And it is all knit sewing-yuck!
However, we aims to please!
First item, a Kwik Sew 1380 singlet top.
I made the XS but still had to trim a good inch and a half from the front straps.
I used the cutout from the from neck to make a back neck facing (just like a purchased top).
The actual construction of the top was about 20 minutes. The hemming took 2 hours!
As I reached the stage of throwing my very expensive cover-stich machine through the window....I worked out what I was doing wrong and it worked (blush).
The top is slightly curved at the front, it gives it a lovely finish.
I do think the secret to a 'professional' looking home made tee is your attention to detail.
Its tempting to rush knits but if you can be bothered to fuss with topstitching and label placing it really pulls the look together.
Elsa paired it with some 3/4 length trackie pants, Vintage Simplicity 8437.
I took a good 4 inches off the hem to achieve the length she was after. I also took 2 inches from the width of the pants back. I felt they were too wide in the heavy unbrushed cotton fleece she had chosen.
They are still wide enough, in my opinion, but she wants to be able to pull them off over her sand-shoes.
I added a wee pocket, with a contrast band that has a velcro closure.
I made the pants 'flat fronted' easing most of the elastic to the back and then stitching the side seams to hold it there.
Next up was a neat little cropped tee. Burda 9745 in size 14.
I used this finish for the neck.
As I said, knits are NOT my thing, so I was super pleased with this!
The fabric was from a bundle I picked up when an online store closed down. It was as cheap as chips so we will have to see how it wears.
Its a really nice fit.
For the shorts we revisited these shorts Simplicty 8437 but this time in a soft grey marl knit.
I didn't lower the front waist this time.
This was requested, I over ruled.
I am glad I did as she wore them to school today and they look quite suitable.
After the tee is was time for a thread change on the overlocker and a knit jacket.
I used the same Burda 9745 and an unbrushed fleece.
The zipper doesn't photo graph well but it is actually a silver metal look. Its a seriously nice zipper.
But as usual, the pattern gets you to purchase a too long one and trim it.
That really irks me. Cut off zippers are not so nice!
Elsa came up with the suggestion of using the full length of the zipper and she would just zip as far as she needed.
I love the finish of the seam inside the hood.
It is a really nice pattern to sew, the pieces go together well but as usual, no seam finishing reminders (except for the hood).
And next time I will baste the jolly zip in place first.
Finally, some trackie pants/leggings.
The same Burda 9745
They are a funny pant. No elastic just a drawstring to hold them.
(I think I may go back and add some elastic).
So, that is the list.
I didn't get it all done by the deadline but Elsa is pretty happy anyway.
Now, I think I may sew something cute for my new baby cousin to blow away the knit colly wobbles.
PS I purchase a lot from this store, fab postage!