Tuesday, January 26, 2021

OOPStyle 2419 dress for Beatrix

 I made Trixie a very pretty dress for Christmas Day.


Well, on Christmas Day she wore swimmers but anyhoo....

I purchased Style 2419 from an Op Shop and I knew Trixie would LOVE the swishy skirt.


It is a very pretty dress with a self lined yoke, ruffles, neck binding and add on sleeves. Almost Empire line.

The back finishes with a zipper. I used an invisible zip but I omitted the hook and eye at the top as I find they tangle in the girls hair.


In lieu of a label I used a wee silver 'E'.
I used a scrap of green linen to bind the neck, just to mix things up!

The fabric is a rayon/linen mix I snaffled from the remnant bin at Spotlight.

It is very soft and light, swishy and swirly.


Perfect for twirling!

The fabric was a bit of a bear to sew. It frayed, a lot. I ended up running all the pieces through my overlocker before construction as I was concerned my seam allowances would end up uneven.


It also appears to have shrunk a wee bit since sewing (or Trixie has shot up) even though I did pre-wash it on a warm, gentle cycle.

If I purchased rayon/linen again I would pre-wash, twice.

~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the flowers, I like the flowers a lot. I like my socks with the pom-poms and my shiny, shiny shoes.
It (the dress NMK) is soft, so soft. It is swishy. 
That is all I have to say, Bye!
~My Verdict~

I take any pretty dress sewing opportunity that comes my way. I have so many vintage patterns and with Covid, very few occasions  to sew them for.

I enjoyed sewing this frock. There were enough details to make it and interesting make and the fabric (although pain in the backside) drapes and falls beautifully. 

The style is very practical for a busy little person. Lovely and full so it is cool on a warmer day and the long sleeves give good sun protection.

The skirt was swishy but not too much fabric to make play impractical.


Trixie certainly gave it a good work out.

Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole 




6 comments:

  1. What a pretty dress. No wonder Trixie loves it. I wish my Spotlight had this type of fabric. Their stocks are low because of a Covid importing limitations :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. Spotlight has really lifted its game with the quality of its fabric. I am sorry you have shortages, I have not noticed that here (AUS) but to be fair, I tend to shop online as I don't like going in store.
      I am glad Trixie likes it and she is just as happy in knickers+singlet. I often think of those terry shorts I used to wear as a little girl, she would love those!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. Another beautiful dress and such a gorgeous vintage pattern. The ruffles around the yoke are so cute. Enjoy sewing these sweet little dresses while you can. Too lovely to just keep for special occasions. So great to be able wear a lovely dress everyday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Karen, I love sewing little dresses.
      I have told Jed, that will be my retirement, sewing up all my fabric into vintage sewing patterns, which I will donate.
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  3. I won't show Chloë this one as she'll want you to make one for her - and you're too busy! Classic styles are the best and I love that Trixie is loving the twirly girly style of this dress. Bows, frills, floral and twirl equals and absolute winner to a six year old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Tamara, we have to sew these pretty dresses while we can!
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete