Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Gingerific

I need jeans, badly.
I have one pair and I can pull them on and off without undoing the fly.
But when I tried the next size on it was too tight around my middle but hopelessly baggy in the legs.
I knew I would have to make them myself.

A few months back I read this blog post over at Thread Theory.
I then starting googling the Ginger jeans by Closet Case and I was only reading good things.
So I decided to try them myself.

My measurements put me in between the 12 and 14 but as my denim had very little stretch (*in hindsight no stretch*) I went with the 14 (the pattern is designed for stretch denim)
I went with View A, the higher waisted style.

After sewing the main part of the jeans including the inner leg first, I fitted the side seams and took another 2 cm's off the legs and just a smidgen of the waist.
Pretty schmick for a practice run.
 I used another remnant from Eliza's Fabric, $4, and I topstitched in navy.
The leg length was perfect for  me.
I used my signature speckly voile for the pocket bags.
A little touch of pretty.
Finally, I can accommodate my 6 child waistline without silly width at the thighs.
Jeans that fit!
I crazy crazy love them.
The nitty-gritty kitty.
One seriously awesome pattern. 
It. Is. The. Bomb.
The best zipper instructions I have ever read, so straight forward.
If you need help there is a step by step sew-a-long and a plethora of blog posts.
Even one that tells you where to place your back pockets.
I learned a great tip in making a 'speed bump', a fold of denim that you pop under your presser foot to help you sew bulky seams. You just pull it out the way once you get over the thick bit.

The PDF goes together well, it does make a big sheet but I find if I fold it in a concertina fashion the big sheets fit in a large ziplock bag.

Since I made these jeans they have either been on my body or in the wash.
I really do crazy crazy love them.

I plan to make a white denim pair for spring next but I will size back to a 12 as the fabric is really stretchy.

The only problem was my fabric choice. I really wish I had used a stretchier denim. I thought mine had a wee bit of stretch but in hindsight, it doesn't. As I do a fair bit of getting up and down from the floor they are a bit tight around my legs by the end of the day.

It hasn't stopped me wearing them though.

I cannot believe my luck in finding such a great fitting pair of jeans for me.

Thanks for popping by!

xx N

20 comments:

  1. They look amazing Nicole!
    Finding jeans that fit is one of my pet hates, and if I have to go shopping for a pair I need to go alone so I don't get annoyed with anybody!
    I have read up on this too and there are some really good tips out there for them. The pattern is on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katy, I tried on so many pairs it was not funny and I was so very depressed. I now I am overweight but not THAT much, it was crazy.
      I can't see why anyone wouldn't sew these, the fly instructions are worth the $10 alone!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. They look amazing Nicole!
    Finding jeans that fit is one of my pet hates, and if I have to go shopping for a pair I need to go alone so I don't get annoyed with anybody!
    I have read up on this too and there are some really good tips out there for them. The pattern is on my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should love them!! They are fab. And yet another example that this pattern works on EVERYONE! I don't know how it works its magic, but it does. I have had the pattern, fabric and all notions ready forever, but just have enough fear to stop me. I really need to get on these. You look fabulous xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jillian. I agree, I have seen so many pairs of these made and they just look great.
      You could sew these standing on your head!
      I kept putting it off until I lost the baby weight but I am only doing minimal exercise and several night feeds so I have plateaued.
      Seriously, these were such a quick sew I won't mind making smaller ones of I need to.

      Thank you for your lovely comment.
      xx N

      Delete
  4. These are amazing on you Nicole - truly a perfect fit.
    I have been wanting to make these but I still have fear of pant sewing - really should just give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Justine, these are so unscary. There are almost too many tips and I think that can be off putting.
      Seriously, use a good stretchy denim and fit the outside seams and you can't go wrong.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  5. Well now I want to test the claim that they work for everyone, as I have the opposite figure! Smallish waist, biggish hips, monster thighs! :) Skinny jeans just don't suit my legs, but these look great on you. Nothing better than jeans that feel like they fit well at every point. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shelley, I wear jeans pretty much everyday so I am so happy to get a pretty close to perfect pair, first time!
      I bet you make a pair of skinnies you love!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. I can see why you love these jeans, the fit is very good and you look so pretty and modern wearing them! I have got the pattern, too, but I am a little scared by the thought of sewing jeans so I am sewing other things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you SaSa, you are sweet.
    Please, sew the, they are great!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look awesome on you, Nicole! I love your speckled pockets.:) I know some of the girls and you have a "signature" fabric...does each family member have one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy, I am happy with them. The only problem is I just want to sew for me now!

      Justine and Melissa sent me the speckly voile and I made two Portfolio tunics and a top from it. I only have scraps left so I like to use them as facings, it make me happy.

      The three younger girls have a 'signature' Liberty but that was really just happy accident. I picked up several metres of it on sale and then just grab remnants when I see it.
      I did tend to sew co-ordinating clothes for the little girls as it makes sewing for them easier, everything works!
      xx N

      Delete
  9. Fabulous jeans! I need to make some. I have such a hard time finding any that fit me, too. My rear is large, but my waist is small. These look great on you. I am wondering what Cindy asked, if you all have a signature fabric? If so, how much of that do you buy at one time? Bolts? LOL I'd be afraid of it being discontinued. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Kristin.
    I would seriously recommend you gives these a go. I have seen all sorts if body shapes look great in them.
    The signature fabric is really just a bit of fun.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn woman, these look GREAT. Also, I'm pretty sure I have the same waist as you but only two kids ... how? LOL! You look fantastic! And these are profesh down to the last detail. Time to make another pair in a stretchier fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lovely Inder. You are too kind. I am seriously considering buying that skirt pattern that you are rocking over at Rachel's blog. So flattering.
      I have cut another pair in super stretchy white denim for Hugo's party but I really need to make a few in dark colours.
      Is it bad I only want to sew for me, for a bit?
      xx N

      Delete
  12. Omg those look amazeballs on you! Excellent job as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, to say I was pleased is an understatement, how lucky was I?
      xx N

      Delete