Friday, September 14, 2018

Jedediah Pants for Hugo

Hugo has several fabric requests on our last Melbourne trip.
One of those was several pairs of slim fitting trousers, stretchy fabric, navy or dark navy.
Jedediah pants  seemed like a good fit.
Always a good sew
Hugo has short legs like his dad #gnomesewing.
I had already shortened the pattern, at the shortening line, by a good whack.
As he wanted a 'skinny leg' I trimmed a cm off the side seams of the front leg panels. 
I also added a inch to the hem, continuing the taper, to create a 'tight ankle'.
The fabric is a cotton sateen, $6/m. I purchased 5 metres of French navy (pictured above) which is so dark I sewed it with black thread.
From that I was able to cut three pairs of Jedidiah's.
A pair of Finch shorts for Tildy (to be blogged)
And a pair of Peridot pants , also for Tildy (also to be blogged)
I did have to omit the back pockets but I checked with Hugo and he didn't mind.
I also purchased 5 metre of navy blue, stretch drill $6/m,from which I was just able to cut three pairs, with back pockets but no scraps.
I was pretty confused as both fabrics were the same width.
~Mystery solved, I was bemusing aloud and Lidia said there was a bit more on the roll that the owner threw in.~
~Hugo's Verdict~
I am currently nearing the end of my 2nd year of studying the three year undergraduate bachelor of Medical Science at Flinders University in Adelaide.
My hope is, after completing this degree, that I will be accepted into the Graduate entry Doctorate of Medicine (4 years) here at Flinders. If it all goes well, in 10 years time, I hope to be a rural GP.

I like to dress smartly when I am attending Uni. I do like looking presentable but at the same time I feel it helps me study, productively. It is like putting on my work gear.

The Jedediah trousers Mum has sewn me do just that and I feel really dapper. They will also come in handy when I, hopefully, get into Med where there is dress code particularly when students are on the wards.
~My Verdict~
Hugo is becoming trickier to sew for, he has a girlfriend now so he may want less of 'Mum's gear'.
He is not home as often so fittings are impossible.
I tend to stick to tried and true patterns that don't need adjustment.
Jedediah pants are my go to trouser patterns for Jed and Hugo.
The pattern goes together beautifully. The pocket facing constructs a strong and tidy pocket. (Just make sure you use a decent weight fabric for the bags, French seams will increase the strength too)

Thank you for reading xxx N

2 comments:

  1. Nothing beats a great basic pair of pants that can be sewn in a jiffy. I also do hospital rotations and having trousers like these will be a massive help (especially dark colours!). On the girlfriend front... I'm guess that a snappy dressed boyfriend in great cut clothes would be a bonus no matter where they came from. You might even have a few more requests!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aynsley, I hope so. They look snappy but he says they are are comfortable as track pants so that is a win.
      His clothing choices have definitely changed, as to be expected, I will just have to stay flexible.
      xx N

      Delete