Sunday, November 17, 2019

Self Drafted top for Zara

Who loves Pinterest ? 
I do.

For me, it is all the joy of a glossy magazine without the clutter.
It enables me to understand my girl's style and sew things they really like.

And don't get me started on the recipes...

Early last year, Zara pinned a cute little top and asked if I could sew it for her.
Image from Pinterest.
I am not a 'pattern hacker' by choice.
(I actually dislike the word 'hack', in Australia it generally means to break or spoil something)
Nor do I draft my own patterns, I have zero skills in that department.
However, this did seem pretty straight forward so I said I would give it a go.
Zara chose the fabric, which is a very fine striped cotton.
I made two tubes, for straps, and pressed the seam down the centre back of the inside.
I then tucked the raw edges to the inside, pressed and topstitched.
After that, I gathered two rows of stitching at the bottom of each tube and put it aside.
For the 'skirt' I sewed a rectangle with French seams .
I finished the hem with a double, narrow fold and the top with a deep casing, sewing a narrower channel for the elastic to thread through.
I popped the 'skirt' on Zara, adjusted the elastic, and then pinned the straps in place.
I then hand sewed them to the elastic casing.
The shoulders are tied with velvet ribbon.
The ribbon I had was a bit stiff, I think a softer, satin ribbon would be nicer here.
~My Verdict~
A fun way to spend an hour and I used up some scraps.
A cute top for those that need no extra support.
#tinytittywin
~Zara's Verdict~
This top is competely adorable, the idea came from an image on Pinterest of a top that I believe was originally a ZARA top. Mum made the pattern from scratch and it turned out beautifully. It is such a comfortable and flattering top that has already got so many wears.
Thank you for reading... xx N

4 comments: