Monday, March 23, 2020

KwikSew 1556 Pyjamas for A Special Girl

I have a very special friend.
She knits the most a m a z i n g things for my family.
Sends me gorgeous hand-me-down clothes and shoes (oh the shoes)!
We chat daily, on Marco Polo, and she keeps me sane with her humour and her compassion.

I really wanted to do something nice for her!
I offered to get her some wool from the Bendigo Mill but she already has plenty.

What 
To 
Do?

You don't want a gift to be an un-gift, something you have to store or you don't need!

Now, Sarvi has a daughter.
A avid reading, Harry Potter fan, string bean of a child.
What do all children need? 
Pyjamas!
I knew the young lady was a Slytherin fan so when I spotted this flannelette at Spotlight I was stoked.
Now when I said string bean, I mean it and after having my own slinky malinky I know how hard it is to get clothes to fit.
So I asked for measurements and offered custom fit japamas.
I know Sarvi  likes a traditional style so I hunted out the OOP Kwkisew from deep stash.
It only went up to a size 7 but I knew width wasn't a problem, just length.
I added two inches to the hem of the bottom and then added a two inch cuff (when finished) so four inches to the leg length.
I added piping, attaching it to the cuffs before sewing them in place.
(I sew my cuff from the inside and then top stitch them in place, no visible seams)
I didn't want the faux fly so I folded it out of the way.
I repeated with the sleeves.
Two inches to length plus a two inch completed piped cuff.
The buttons are black enamelled shell stitched with green embroidery thread.
The collar and fronts are piped as well.
~My Verdict~
A lovely pj top pattern, good instructions for sewing the piping.
The bottoms are a bit ho-hum, I much prefer the Oliver+S pj bottom pattern with the separate cuffs and waistband BUT these gave me a nice slim fit.
The fabric is a very nice quality and little better than the standard Spotlight stuff.

The japamas arrived and were well received.
They are a good fit, width wise but I think they could have done with some length added.

Lucky I enough fabric to make another pair....

Thank you for reading. xx N

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure they were greatly appreciated, they certainly look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see some photos and she looked so happy, it was awesome!
      Thank you
      xx N

      Delete