Friday, May 25, 2012

A Skinny Sunki for my Mini Monkey

Last week I made this funky little number for Matilda.
Its the gorgeous Sunki from Figgy's Patterns.
We both love it but the fit was a bit wide for her tiny frame and it was falling off her shoulder.
I have just enough fabric to make another from the Ikat but I thought I would make a muslin first.
After cutting out the Ayashe blouse in the short and long sleeve views for Tildy I had enough scraps to whip up a muslin. I didn't intend to finish it-just sew enough to get a better idea of fit.
But it turned out so cute I HAD to sew it up!
I was lucky enough to get some tips from the designer herself.
By simply moving the pattern front and back over the edge of the fabric(by half an inch in Tildy's case)it removed the extra ease without changing the look of the dress at all.
I added about three inches to the hem to make it less tunic/more dress.
I felt is was a little wishy washy for winter so I fished out some very very old cotton ribbon with a dainty crochet trim. There was just enough to add a piece to the front and make a tiny bow.
The lime green buttons were Tildy's choice.
And they matched the Figgy's labels perfectly.
To continue the 'Mod' look I used a dark charcoal zipper.
I like it peeping out.
The alteration doesn't affect the pockets one little bit.
There you have it......a pair of Sunki's(groan)


Next up Ayashe blouse and skirt.


x N

14 comments:

  1. I LOVE both your versions.....perfect fabric/style choices (as usual)
    And Miss T is the perfect little model!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Justine AND thank you again for buying me this pattern and starting my Figgy's adventure!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
  3. The modifications flatter Missy T's frame so well! Another great creation from "House of Nicole"!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw,Thank you Cindy-another lovely creation of Justines!

      I will make it a wee bit looser in a woven but that is the beauty of this modification,just move the pattern!
      (Don't forget to take the same off the facings!)
      x N

      Delete
  4. This looks great on her! I like the slimmer fit, but I think for the ikat the pattern is ok a bit looser. Both are stunning, but no surprises there. :) I really want to get the Ayashe pattern for fall so I'll have plenty of time to feed off your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you!
    I like the looser Ikat too and it is fine with a skivvy or I will put it away for next winter!
    I am itching to sew up the Ayashe skirt,it is weeny!
    x N

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!Terrific modifcations and she is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your help Shelley. I am so excited about making it for the twins(and Liddy)!
      Thank you
      x N

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness! The second picture just makes me want to give her a quick squeeze! I love the slim fit so much, and it is great lengthened... trying to resist this pattern ... (I need to work on the pattern stash challenge first!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She frequently has that affect on me Brittney,as do your little ones!

      I tried not to buy the Banyan but then saw a few on Flickr......
      Thank you!
      x N

      Delete
  8. love your cute mod model. And your "mods" to the dress! Am taking notes... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thats the handy thing about twin's no need for extra fittings!

    I didn't need a muslin for the Ayashe,thanks to you-lovely girl!
    x N

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for blogging this. Ella is a skinny minny too. I will be doing the same alterations that you did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked really well. I love this dress so much!
    xx N

    ReplyDelete