Wednesday, May 15, 2019

OOP Simplicity 5995 Pinafore for Beatrix

So, in attempt to use up the last of the corduroy
I made Trixie a pinny.
When I originally pulled this pattern out, I had plans.
I imagined trimming it with ric-rac and using a cute juvenile embroidery.
But Trixie didn't fancy it.
She wanted something pretty!
I found this pretty piece of lace in some notions from my Mother's stash.
It was a bit damaged but I had just enough to cut it in half, butt the selvedges together and cover a tatty piece with some black velvet ribbon.
The decorative buttons are MoP, of course.
The cotton lace on the ruffles is also vintage and I assume, salvaged from a garment as it had blue threads running through it.
I stitched it to the ruffle edge after hemming it.
It fastens with a zipper and I used a chunky metal tooth one to combat the bulky corduroy fabric.
For the same reason I bound the bottom of the facing, it was getting seriously bulky.
This sew was a little more complicated than I anticipated.
The outer garment is constructed, ruffles added, zipper set in.
The arm openings are stay stitched at 5/8ths then trimmed, clipped and pressed in.
The facing is sewn and you repeat the armhole treatment.
Sew the two at the neck, turn and sort of topstitch the two together, at the sleeves.
It possibly would have been easier with a thinner facing fabric.
This took some serious sewing but it will be nice and warm.
~My Verdict~
This is not the first time I have deemed a pattern a 'simple sew' and it has bitten me on the bum.
This pattern is just lovely. Deceptively plain but so sweet and very wearable.
I made Trixie the size 4 (her chest is size 3) so she has room to grow.
I think this would be equally gorgeous in denim as another warm garment or in a linen or seersucker for Summertime. 
I like it best paired with a t-shirt, it is a more modern look for this vintage style.
~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the flowers (the lace NMK) and I love the bow.
It has wings, I like them.
Thank you for reading... xx N


Trixie is wearing a vintage blouse (to be blogged) and Field Trip tee and a knitted hat from Aunty Sarvi.
Her shoes are Start-rite.

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT so much with that striped puffy-sleeve blouse. She looks like a model for haute couture children's wear. Also love the lace and the faux placket. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Masha.
      Trixie is not fond of modelling so I was lucky togged these shots!
      xx N

      Delete
  2. It does have wings!!! So pretty! She looks absolutely adorable in those last photos! What a lot of pretty, fiddly details for you to work out, as well. Funny how some makes are deceptively simple ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Inder.
      I thought this would be a cake walk... but I still love it.
      I originally made the long version but she made me shorten it.
      xx N

      Delete
  3. I agree! The lace is much better and very pretty! It’s funny how they have definite and differing views.

    ReplyDelete