Thursday, May 2, 2019

OOP Simplicity 6157 Dungrees for Beatrix

Still sewing dungarees.
Last year,  Zara had me make her a pinafore.
The honey coloured corduroy was a 4m bulk piece I picked up for $2 from an OpShop in Bendigo.
It was such a big, space using piece of cloth I decided to cut it up completely.
From the 4 m I was able to cut Zara's pinny, dungarees for Tildy , Finch shorts for Trixie, a pinny for Trixie and another pair of dungarees for Trixie.
I have had this pattern for a few years, I think I may have purchased it in a bundle, from eBay.
I am guessing the side tabs caught my eye, I am a sucker for side tabs.
They are good and long, in the leg and body.
I did do a narrow seam allowance, just on the top of the button tab to give a wee bit more length.
The back is done up with a zipper.
The instructions were missing from the packet so I sewed the facing as one would sew the Tea Party romper 
The fabric was quite bulky so I bound the edge with a scrap on Liberty bias.

The legs are good and long.
The bottom is a little baggy but as this is a size 3 and the pattern is circa 1968 I would think they are allowing for a cloth nappy.
And it makes them very comfortable.
Just the job for a farm girl.
Honestly, if the lady in the OpShop had not been so excited to find this fabric for me I wouldn't have purchased it.
I thought the colour was a bit boring.
But it is a great colour for a child, disguises dirt well.
(Dirt and sand brushed right off)
And the colour doesn't 'fight' with the wearer.
It also lets the pattern design shine!
~My Verdict~
Winner, winner, chicken, um err....
I am a bit disappointed I didn't sew these earlier on. They are so cute!
Great design, quick sew and dum dah dah, Trixie can handle the buttons and take herself to the lavvy!
I could see these in wool or velvet for Winter and seersucker for a breezy Summer pair.
Trixie pulled these out of the wash basket to wear again (and this is the child who goes nekked every chance she can get) so they MUST be comfortable.
They also pass the 'sand test' i.e. she can play in the sandpit without filling up the legs with grit.
~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the side tabs, I like the shoulder buttons. I chose white buttons. Mum was going to use pink.
They feel soft.
They are brown.
I love them.
Aww, thanks Trixie.


Thank you for reading... xx N

18 comments:

  1. "they feel soft. they are brown. I love them" perfect summary of all the favourite bits of clothing I own too Trixie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is getting so big! The overalls are adorable on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is so big now, not even a toddler, a proper little girl.
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  3. (fan of yours from O+S) I love reading your childrens' reactions to your sews! These are adorable, and if I can ask, what pattern is the bonnet Trixie is wearing in this post?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallo!
    How lovely to hear from you!
    The bonnet is the free Purl Soho Summer Bonnet. It is the largest size with little straps instead of ties.
    I made it in denim wool (lined in Liberty, of course). Trixie loves it as it is warm and gives her sun protection.
    xx N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the pattern reference! Finally got around to making it for my 15-month toddler, and it's adorable!

      Delete
    2. That is great, I love it.
      xx N

      Delete
  5. This style is gorgeous and much easier to manage I’d expect. And yep! Pink😂. Like I said pink and brown go really well together. They look so cute on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so surprised when she plumped for white, but there you go!
      Thank you!
      xx N

      Delete
  6. I love the farm girl action shots - the colour of the dungarees looks great with your chooks ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I figure we live on the land, we should share it!
      xx N

      Delete
  7. More "land girl" goodness! LOVE THESE! And she can do and undo them herself, which is critical at this age! So cute. You are a sucker for side tabs - I feel I know you well enough to confirm that that is in fact the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Landgirl is the perfect description.
      Dungarees and overalls are very practical for farm wear. I am trying to convince Jed to let me make him a pair.
      I do love side tabs, I am making Finch shorts (with the last of this fabric) today and I love the tabs on those too.
      xx N

      Delete
  8. So gorgeous! I love all the dungarees you have sewn but these are my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are certainly the most worn pair. If your little darling doesn't shoot up too much in height, I will put these aside for her.
      Thank you Suzy!
      xx N

      Delete