Saturday, April 11, 2020

DRCOS Hood Onepiece Dress for Beatrix

I had another go at the DRCOS Hoodied dress pattern
It is a free PDF pattern that you can print at home.
I sewed up the size 120 for Trixie in some lilac unbrushed cotton fleece from Eliza Fabrics.
Designed to match her fancy new sand shoes.
Trixe requested a kangaroo pocket.
So I used the one from the Hatteras hoodie 
I lined it with lilac satin, so it feels nice!
Trixie badly wanted to use the 'fish cupcake' transfer I picked out of the bargain bin at Spotlight but with the pocket there was no room on the front. 
So she consented to the back.
The problem?
The hood
Would 
Not 
Fit!
Luckily I had another fish cupcake.
So I sewed her the size 140.
Which was a bit big...
But not Silly big!
Except...
The hood still didn't fit!
And then I realised...
One, I had lined the hood with satin, removing the stretch ease.
Two, fabric choice. I think this may have been meant to be sewn up in a very stretchy lightweight knit.
Oliver and S Playtime leggings
Trixe is quite happy to wear it with the hood being purely decorative.
I am quietly kicking myself for not checking the fit.
~Trixie's Verdict~
I like the rainbow writing, I like my shoes.
The hood is not tight, I like it! I like leggings and dresses.
It is great for bowling and the arcade.
I LOVE the pocket, it is the best, everything should have pockets, you need pockets all the time!
~My Verdict~
One really can't complain when a free pattern isn't quite right.
It is a dear little pattern with lovely shaping and very quick to sew.
There are no directions but construction is very straight forward.
Trixie loves them both and they will be warm and snuggly on house days.
The company offers multiple sizes, including adult ones (women and men) so definitely worth a look.
I bound the raw edge of the neck with cotton webbing tape after I attached the hood.
This stopped the neck stretching out as well as just being a nice finish.
The Oliver and S Playtime leggings are always a nice sew. Sewn up in cotton ribbing, with a stencilled print, they compliment the hooded dress.
Thank you for reading... xx Nicole 

4 comments:

  1. It would have been nice, free pattern or not, if some guidance as to suitable fabric could have been given. But I love Tricia modelling what looks like a warm comfy dress. Also love that she is "dressed like a crayon" in all one colour from toe to head:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be completely fair, there may have been guidance but as it was ant English, I didn't notice it.
      The lilac is ALL on her, she loves purple!
      Thank you Margaret, I enjoy you comments and love hearing from you.
      xx N

      Delete
  2. This is so cute! I would totally wear this myself, haha! Also I really love your idea of lining the pocket in satin. Clem would love that so much, he's really big on soft textures in his clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, they have a mens version and I am definitely sewing one for Hugo!
      I usually use stretch satin, (or silk, if you have some) it feels nice and keeps your hair neater.
      PS Ladies ones too!
      Thank you xx N

      Delete