Friday, April 3, 2020

Style 3253 Tracksuit for Lidia

Elsa asked me to make her a tracksuit.
She then sent me a picture
 ( I love it when they do that, a picture really is worth a thousand words) and I started deep stash exploration for a raglan sleeve sweatshirt.
The bottoms, Hudson's, of course 
I found one I thought would work, OOP 3253. 
I was given this in a mixed box of sewing goodies.
Having narrow shoulders myself, I love a raglan sleeve as I can add body ease without the whole garment being too big.
Elsa is not the easiest little bunny to sew for so I offered Lidia a 'wearable muslin' sweater.
She requested the bottoms too!
The mint green unbrushed cotton fleece is from Eliza Fabrics
The same knit I used for Trixie's tracksuit 
The ribbing is a green marl, a remnant I picked up from Horsham Spotlight (the best Spotlight) and it was a lucky match.
Liddy loved this funny Llama transfer (also from Horsham Spotlight $1) and asked me to also print LLAMA on the leg, where the jumper finished.
The sweater was a great fit through the body, boxy but not sloppy.
But the arms and legs were soooo long!
The original sweater had elastic casings at the wrist, we wanted ribbing so I cut a large amount (6 inches) from the sleeves and then added the cuffs.
I didn't shorten the legs or check length because Liddy is so tall I usually have to add.
Not on these bad boys!
I have offered to cut them off but Lidia said not to bother as they are comfortable.
It's not like we are going anywhere....
The bottoms are high waisted with a very deep casing.
Luckily I had super wide elastic in my stash otherwise I would have sewn a double channel casing.
A nice fit in the derriere, not too full.
Apart from the leg length, a great fit.
Zara was so taken with Lidia's version she requested one.
She chose a retro transfer that I found Deep Stash, it was priced at 35c so I am guessing it is pretty old.
The fabric is leftover from Trixie's hooded dress (to be blogged) and was also from Eliza Fabrics.
I sent it up to her in Adelaide and she was very happy.
(I think she was pretty happy with the food I sent too)
~Lidia's Verdict~
These trackies are so comfy!
I love the colour and the ribbing is a perfect match. The llama stencil is from Spotlight, I chose it because I have a pair of red Converse I plan to wear with them.
They ended up being a little bit long but that makes them extra comfortable.
As I am currently studying from home I am wearing this set quite regularly.
If I got the made again I would have the leg made shorter and the cuff a bit tighter so that they don't slip over my ankles.
Over all they are super comfy and I really love them, thanks Mum!
~My Verdict~
This pattern was a lucky find.
It needed a few modifications to get what we wanted but they were easy ones.
The bottoms length was completely my fault, I should have checked.
(I may sneak them out soon and chop them off)
The sweater is just what we were after and I think it will prove very popular.
I think leisure wear will be worn a lot in the next few months.
Elsa tried on Liddy's and gave it the thumbs up so I can go ahead with hers.
The bonus is, if she doesn't like it, Zara or Liddy will!
Thank you for reading, stay safe and wash your hands! 
                                                                           xx Nicole 

4 comments:

  1. So so so cute! These look great and will be so comfy for the girls. My youngest daughter is happiest in her trackies too. Love the transfers, makes them look very professional. As always you are an amazing mama !!!! 🙂👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen.
      Transfers seem to be coming back in fashion, the more 'twee' the better.
      Zara requested a sweater with a lamb on it, the lamb image she sent me is exactly the same one my mother put on my cot!
      PS What a lovely compliment xxx N

      Delete
  2. There's nothing quite like a comfy tracksuit, especially such a stylish one, especially at the moment! I never think to use transfers; you're definitely inspiring me. I could do with some decent tracksuit fabric too. Maybe it's time for a lazy Sunday online shopping session.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lara.
      Transfers seem to be back in vogue and Spotlight have a sale on at present with some weird and wonderful ones ( think salmon thongs )
      xx N

      Delete