Friday, May 1, 2020

OOP Kwiksew 1922 Sweater and OOP Style 1713 Skirt for Lidia

Now I love an inspiration photo...
Especially when sewing for teenagers.
Lidia had a very particular outfit in mind.
Oversize sweater, batwing, round neck.
A gored skirt, short but not too short.
I sent her a-pattern busting.
Her find?
A OOP Kwiksew from the 80's.
Lidia didn't want any of the panelling so I figured it would be simplest to cut two backs, cutting a lower neck on one of those for the front.
Rather than a basic ribbing (or self fabric) I remembered some lovely polo top collars my sewing gal/pal Colette had set me.
These make great neck, wrist or ankle bands and I also use them as a pocket trim on Hudson pants instead of ribbing.
I bound the back of the neck with cotton webbing.
This stabilises it and well as giving the garment a lovely finish.
Let's talk about fabric because it is lush!
A poly/cotton matelasse fabric that is thick and stretchy.
I purchased this (and some in a navy colour way) from Eliza's Fabrics it is very wide and was around $3/m (I only found a few flaws in my cut)
I took a great deal of care fussy cutting the pattern to be perfectly symmetrical.
This left quite a few 'scraps' but I was able to cut a top each for Matilda and Beatrix by cutting to the grain but ignoring the matelasse finish.

The skirt is OOP Style 1717, from deep stash.
Lids plumped for View 3, but a bit shorter.
This is a lovely pattern and if you are using a fabric that is not directional, a very economical cut and sew as the gores flip and nestle together nicely. I have cut Liddy another from the scantest piece of black drill.
The fabric is a stretch cord from Spotlight.
The leftovers from Beatrix's dungarees and Elsa's shortie version (to be blogged)#ninjacutting.
The skirt is short but not too short.

To get the perfect hem, I measure from the floor, inevitably the back ends up a few cm's longer to cover the derrière evenly.
With her fabulous new boots it is a snappy outfit.
Those sleeves are ridiculous...
But just what she wanted.
~My Verdict~
This was a lot of fun, from the planning to the sewing to Lidia's joy and how it all came together.
Her style is very different to her sisters and she know her mind but is ever so sweet when expressing it.

The Kwiksew jumper gave her the batwing look  she was after and, being Kwiksew, it sewed up beautifully.

(Kwiksew are not a 'sexy' pattern company but the patterns are extremely well drafted, the instructions are straightforward with good (basic) diagrams, my only grumble is the 6mm seam allowance which doesn't give you any jiggle room, that said, they are multisite so you can draft across sizes to your measurements)

The Style pattern is a lovely skirt, I originally cut the skirt with an extra inch side seam to fit (Lidia wasn't home and I was concerned about her hips) but I didn't need it and cut it off.
Image from Pinterest
Liddy wanted it quite short but not too short so I used my hem measurer that Jed picked up at a Clearing Sale for me.
It's a great tool that helps me get the perfect hem and looks good in my sewing room to boot!
~Lidia's Verdict~
This is such a cute outfit! 
The jumper is one of my favourite in my cupboard and it can be a part of so many outfits. I really love the fabric, the pattern on it is unique and beautiful.  I haven’t had many opportunity’s to wear this out yet but once the Covid19 is sorted out it will be one of my main outfits.  My favourite shoes to wear with them are my white heeled boots but the outfit also works with my flat black boots and a few pairs of my flats. 
I really, really love this outfit and can’t wait to wear it more, thank you  Mumma x
Thank you for reading... xx Nicole



4 comments:

  1. Another really cute outfit. So good that daggy old patterns can look so cool with a new interpretation and some lovely fabrics. My mum had one of those hem measures. I recall standing on the kitchen table for what seemed like hours and getting into trouble for moving too much. I'm sure you are more patient with your girls. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Karen!
    (It's a shocker, isn't it)?
    Although, I did see an Instagram 'influencer' wearing one very similar a few weeks back and I may have chuckled to myself.
    xx Nicole
    PS Nope, not patient at all but at least I don't 'accidentally' jab with pins like my mother did...

    ReplyDelete
  3. How grateful Liddy must be that you can translate inspiration pictures into reality so well. I laughed about the hemming....I have one of those ruler things too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is Margaret, she is an absolute delight.
    The funny thing is, when Jed bid and won the measuring stick he had it firmly in his mind I needed two and came home with another one, a month later, that he chased and bid quite a bit on.
    Thank you!
    xx Nicole

    ReplyDelete