Saturday, May 2, 2020

OOP McCall's Dungarees for Elsa, Zara and Me!


Remember these?
The fabulous denim dungarees that Zara had made for festival wear.

I used McCall's 7241 and shaped the leg using the Hudson pants as a guide.

Elsa asked me if I could sew her a shortie pair.
She texted me from Spotlight to be exact.
I was happy to (and pay for the fabric) if she got the mustard as I wanted to sew Trixie some dungarees too 
I cut the legs 3/4 length as I was not quite sure what shortie translated too....
This is 'shortie'
Way too short for this little black duck.
Elsa didn't fancy them either.
In retrospect, I should have left the legs a lot wider, like shorts, the clue was in the name, 'shortie'.
As the cool kids say 'My bad'.
Luckily Zara loves them.
And rocks them!
I really liked the mustard pair (before the chopping incident) so I decided to make a pair for me!
The fabric is a super stretchy corduroy from deep stash in a lovely coffee cream colour.
I reversed the nap (thank you Liesl Gibson) for a lustrous finish and top stitched all the seams.
They are definitely very cute.
And the back keeps you so warm!
They are certainly baggy but that is the easy fit style.
As the day went on and the fabric stretched I wasn't finding them as nice to wear.
I had a lot of fabric 'bunching' around my middle.
I usually wear jeans and a belt. I like the firmness around my waist as it reminds me to stand up straight and tighten my stomach muscles which is important for my back health.
I find if I wear Hudson pants all day I get a sore lower back too.
So, while I really like them I don't think they are for me.
So when Elsa popped to for a visit and to use our internet for study (after stripping down, showering, wearing my clothes and I disinfected her Macbook and phone) I encouraged her to try them on.
So. 
Adorable.
I think her fuller derrière takes care of the excess ease that was causing issues for me (I have a pancake bum) and she can wear those tiny tops to show off her tiny waist.
~My Verdict~
I love sewing this pattern.
It goes together beautifully and quickly (4 hours tops)
I have re-drafted the legs and altered the straps (adding 3 inches) so I can whip up a pair stat!
They have enough details to to look professional with our being fiddly and the pocket are great!
But.... not for me, not this pattern anyway.
I think I will try again in a rigid denim, in another pattern as I really, really want a pair.
image from Pinterest
Something like this ^^?
~Elsa's Verdict~
The overalls are utterly gorgeous, I also have a pair in denim but the corduroy ones are so much warmer and more comfortable.
 They look great with a cute tank too for when it’s warm but also looks stunning with a turtle neck and a jacket! Thanks so much Mummy x


~Zara's Verdict~
Really cute and fun overalls that mum and I actually have a matching pair of (not anymore...)NMK
I think these are going to be really cute with a graphic T for my teachers placement. Sooooo comfortable and stretchy.
 Thanks Mum!! x
So there we have, I tried something new but it wasn't for me.
I am going to try again, I really think I can make them work and I have an enormous roll of denim I can muslin with.

This pattern is a great one and worth snapping up if you find it. Elsa would like the pinny version sewn up in bottle green so it will pulled out again soon.
PS, My tee is the Plantain by Deer and Doe with a cuff (due to fabric restrictions) my go to tee.

Thank you for reading.... xx Nicole
Thank you Tilly for the photos 

6 comments:

  1. You are the Queen of Dungaree Production! Once the whole family have been kitted out a photo of you all wearing them would be fun;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dungarees family photo, I love it!
      I did buy the Mimi G mens pattern and have a pair planned for Jed and I am considering the Republic Chiffon pattern for me.
      It appears to be a bit more fitted and sewn from a rigid rather than stretch.
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. I actually think they look really good on you! I like the more close fitting cut on these. They are so much more flattering than oversized ones. I made a pair in my late teens and loved them. I am not sure they are for me now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look just not the fit, as above, the Republic Chiffon pattern looks to be more what I am after.
      (At least I have plenty of girls to pass them on to if they don't suit me)
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  3. Shaping the lower leg to the Hudson's is a great idea! I think you look fab in them. I wear mine (mostly for garden work) with a body suit underneath so it isn't all lumpy underneath. (I just have to give myself enough notice if I need a wee - haha!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A body suit is a great idea, less lumps!
      I did purchase the Republic Chiffon version and it is multi-sized so it will be great for fitting.
      Thank you!
      xx Nicole

      Delete