Wednesday, April 14, 2021

OOP Simplicity 7000 Dress for Matilda

 Matilda had a vision for her Christmas Day frock.

She wanted it long and swishy with ruffles and fancy sleeves. Matilda chose the linen/cotton fabric from Spotlight, herself, and spent quite some time choosing her pattern.

I quizzed whether she really wanted all those frills and the long length and she did!


I wasn't too sure how it would look (I was worried it would look terribly old fashioned) but it was actually quite pretty.


The ruffle is finished, separately, and then top stitched in place so it would be possible to remove it, if you wish.


The sleeves are deliciously full  at the cuff with a neat little sleeve placket. I used hessian knot buttons to close it.

I was concerned the dress may be a little scratchy but I didn't want to make is too warm, so I used a partial lining.

I laid the Bemsilk lining over the outer bodice fabric and then treated them as one. The skirt lining hangs separately at the sides but I incorporated the lining with the zipper at the back.


A very satisfying sew.


As you can see, a very straight forward sew.

I didn't get the chance to take proper photos, but Jed took some snaps in the lovely Japanese Gardens in Adelaide.

Which was just as well as Tildy has had a HUGE growth spurt and it doesn't fit anymore....


And guess what? She didn't wear it Christmas Day as it was too hot, she wore swimmers!


Matilda has grown out of ALL her recent sews and jumped size 12 straight into a 14!

My baby girls is growing up!

Thank you for reading... xxNicole 




8 comments:

  1. I have a girl who loves swishy and ruffles too! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wore it with an elastic, hessian belt with a ,metal buckle (it was mine)!!! and definitely looked cute.
      I think I spent more time sewing it than she wore it, she grew so suddenly!
      Thank you xx Nicole

      Delete
  2. Beautiful dress Nicole. I love how well she matched the floral fabric to the pattern. Luckily you have another sweet girl who might wear it one day 😊💕😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen, I hope Trixie will wear it.
      xx Nicole

      Delete
  3. I think I had a flower girl dress in a similar style - when I was about 5. I don't think we ever grow out of the girly frilliness, just out of the pattern unfortunately. It looks lovely on her. And she has grown up so so much. Time just goes way too fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, thank you for your comment
      xxNicole

      Delete
  4. I think I had a flower girl dress in a similar style - when I was about 5. I don't think we ever grow out of the girly frilliness, just out of the pattern unfortunately. It looks lovely on her. And she has grown up so so much. Time just goes way too fast!

    ReplyDelete